Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Shopping for a Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted
If the near future we will be actively searching for our next coach. This link is the coach or model of coach we are looking for . I must say it would be awesome to actually find and purchase this particular coach Hide

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...&s=7031072951&cdra=Y

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The one in Oklahoma isn't a Breakaway but is better than a Breakaway. Right price, right miles, right condition. Why not buy it now?
Jim

Living my life vicariously through others

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is nice , just not what we are looking for. We absolutely love the look and layout of that 92 Breakaway. We are gonna hold out until we find the one we want and then fix it up to be a keeper. Planning to buy after the first of the year , unless something comes along that we just can't pass up. Computer

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be listing my Breakaway XL for sale shortly.
I had a pesky rain leak from a clearance light above the panel at the front of the coach.
Repairs will be completed by next week.
I'm waiting to list it after I get the new upholstered panels back in.

You can pull up posts on my coach including the last time I sold it (I bought it back again). I have made many upgrades to it. Contact me direct if interested.

Michael Roberts 423.215.7118

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a nice coach , that's for sure . It's just not what we are looking for .

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
That layout is exactly what I have! I believe that I have the only 30' Breakaway that has the 5.9L 230HP Cummins and 6 speed Allison and is mid entry. I looked for 5 years for this combo. Bought it in 2006 and just has rolled over 305,000 miles.

Mid entry 30' Breakaways are hard to find.

It has been OK but has required a fair amount of attention. Sorry not for sale-----YET!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a nice set-up . Especially your hf antenna . Salute

We are not in a hurry and will continue our search until we find one.
Our last coach was absolutely wonderful , but we decided to downsize a bit. This floor plan looks like it will fit our needs very well.

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/11
Picture of train701
posted Hide Post
I have a front entry 91 breakaway if interested. email me train701@juno.com. Shown in data tag group. I respond only to private email not connected to the website.

9102 3718 30BS 4B
91 30ft Breakaway, front entry
6BT5.9 Cummins, Allison AT542
Spartan EC2000

Posts: 14 | Location: Eastern NC | Member Since: 01-01-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the current owner of the Yale's coach ?

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...&s=7031072951&cdra=Y

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

posted Hide Post
We've been studying the different layouts and are leaning more towards an 11B. I like the mid-entry , but there seems to be more usable room with the front entry . Hoping to find one after the first of the year , but if the right one comes available before then that might be ok too Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Harold: I looked for a long time for mine as I mentioned. Front entry is OK and it does have more usable room per sq ft. Now with flat screen TVs you could replace a small front TV maybe up to 32 inch and still not have a clearance problem going in and out. Wifey would really complain is there was a front entry step that had to be covered while driving so front entry would be out for me for sure.

If you are a faster driver (like me) you probably should consider 6 speed or an engine/trans combo that would net a lower RPM at cruise speeds. The Allison 542 is OK but at 65-70, you will be near the top of the governor 2500 RPM where the Cummins starts to defuel. Yeah it will go to 2800 but power drops after 2500 RPM The only other 30' Breakaway I know of that had a good combination was one with a Cat 6 cylinder 5 speed and on a Gillig chassis, was sold some time ago. (front entry)

Spartan chassis are OK but parts are harder to source as Spartan has all older chassis information on micro-fish and the updates are NOT GOOD! Suspension parts will not fit if you order to your VIN number. Full air suspension is nice but very few 30' Breakaways came with full air. If I were to try to replace my 30' Breakaway, I would probably opt for a 32-34 foot as they a much more common with 6 speeds and if you could find a 34' with a 8.3L Cummins even better. My ideal would be a Cummins/Gillig combination.

I have rolled over 305,000 miles on mine, I can say, if I had to hire work done over the years to get this far, it would have been long gone. Now I am still tinkering with it to further improve it. Got a Cummins/Onan QD8000 diesel generator that was damaged in an accident. Rebuilding it to get rid of the propane PITA! Need to water proof the roof and take out the interior. The insulation in these years is pitiful, virtually non existent!!!!

Living on the Left Coast, most anywhere I go I have 4000'-7000' mountains to go over. Even so I have averaged 10.1-10.2 MPG but is slow going for a bit getting out of here. Now that I am slowing down MPG is going up 10% or so!

If you would like to continue this discussion, send me a PM and we can exchange contact info. If I can help further, glad to do it.

73s
Ed

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info . I'll get with you , always like to have helpful input.

For the last five years I've drove a 8.3 Cummins with the 6 speed . It is a great combo , but i am not equipped to work on such a heavy chassis . We were 59 ft long and weighed in at 40,000 pounds with toad . It was a great combination for the highway , a little tight in smaller spaces .
Hoping to downsize a bit and have lower routine maintenance costs as well as having a smaller footprint .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:

We've had 1 Regal and 3 Breakaways, 1 Barth Class C, 1 Monaco Dynasty, 1 Calista Class C, and finally, 1 Winnebago Class C. They all served a purpose that depended on how old we were, how much money we had available for this 'hobby', and how much energy we had to work on them. We are not, and never have been 'full timers', nor will we ever be. At age 81, I can no longer do many of the things I did 20 years ago when we started this RV thing. So, our 22' Minnie Winnie is perfect for us. We don't have to do anything to it. We just get in it, start it and go where we want to, whether it's to Walmart or Indiana. And if it needs work, I just take it to the Ford dealer. We keep it in a garage, and don't worry about delamination due to water. It's not a Barth. Would I buy another Barth? Maybe. Probably not but only because I can't find anyone who can work on it, even though it's a relatively simple RV. So it's all about what you can do, or what you can have done. And for me, dependability.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked as a mechanic for around 15 years , but gave it up around 2000. The cars were getting too smart for me . In 1988 I joined the local Volunteer Fire Department and decided to make a career out of it in 1994 . I do most of my own repairs and maintenance , which is why I am downsizing . Many years on a medic unit and fire truck has taken its toll . I'm set to retire in about three years , really looking forward to that . In the last six years we've logged in over 50,000 miles rving . We plan to do some boondocking and more COE parks in the future . Our big coach was just not set up for that .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

posted Hide Post
How tall is the shower in Breakaway ?

I'm 6'2" and hope the shower is tall enough hmm

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW