Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Bookends Doug?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/rvs/2319932388.html

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
If that thing was a 24 footer I'd be all over it. Wink

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
That's an Avion, not an Airstream. Different company, but a very good trailer maybe even better than an Airstream.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right, I didn't catch that.

I too like the Avions, especially the early ones as they kept the 16 or so panel fronts a lot longer than Airstream. My 58' Airstream was the first year that Airstream went to the lesser panels. I'm sure in the day it was considered progressive and modern, but now there is about a $10K difference for the older look. Kinda like a 57 vs 58 Chevy.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I talked to a lady who had one for sale not far from us a while back. They were selling it because they had gone to a 5er for the floor plan. She said the Avion was super solid, like jump up and down anywhere in the trailer and it didn't move solid. She said the new 5er creaks and springs everwhere you walk.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 1980's while I was in college, a customer brought in a highline trailer with soft floors. It was either a Holiday Rambler or an Airstream....I don't remember.

The floors were either 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood laminated to a foam insulation with metal on the underside. A little water and they had gone soft and squishy. I went in and laid 3/4 AC plywood over the top and put in new carpet and vinyl.

They were definately solid after that and customer was ecstatic.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Even tho Avion was never part of AirStream, they are still highly regarded and many members of the AirStream forum are Avion owners.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it Argosy that is part of Airstream? Seems I recall seeing Argosy by Airstream on some trailers. They always were painted instead of the aluminum.

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Argosy was or is a division of AirStream. I will see if I can find out exactly what the deal is. Yes, Argosys were always painted. I'm not sure why, but now my curiosity is perked up.

W4JDZ

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
As I recall, the early Argosies were painted because they had some steel parts. Later, it varied all over the place.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The listing is erroneous. There is no such thing as an AIRSTREAM AVION. After I owned a 16' Airstream, I owned a 19' Avion. I also lived and worked for several years a few miles from the Avion factory in Benton Harbor, and even closer to the Cayo service company in Coloma.
As Bill said, Avion was actually superior to Airstream -- more robust frame, much sturdier and more luxurious cabinetry, better upholstery, etc.
The trailer in the CL ad seemed to be a bargain.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post