Forums    Community Announcements    Special news report.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Special news report. Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Good morning, all;

I keep reminding myself that statistically the most dangerous part of my flight with the C-172 is the trip driving to and from the airport.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latté Land, Washington

Posts: 49 | Location: Latté Land, Washington  | Member Since: 12-03-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
statistically

All depends how you look at the "stats."

Posts: 2563 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Statistics show we all die one day. Sorry
As for the road deaths, over 38,000 last year. If that many died in plane crashes, the skies would be empty. But ppl keep on texting, slapping wasps and drinking and running over each other each day in their cars. Oh well, just venting. Doris
Fly the friendly skies

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1135 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One thing I liked about flying was I could get to cruise altitude, set the autopilot, and relax. Even on manual, flying is much less stressful than driving.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Fly the friendly skies

Unless corporate I'm not aware of any friendly skies.

I was taught to respect my elders but it is getting harder to find them!

Posts: 725 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
They drag them off the plane now Big Grin

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1135 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
Naaaa....there's only one good twin: A C-337. You can lose one engine and it doesn't matter......https://skymaster.com/

Posts: 81 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The "Mixmaster". When I was flying out of the Tampa Bay area for years, there were only two fatalities on twins. One was a Baron that took off with the control lock in place (installing the lock put a metal plate in place that covered the ignition, mixture, throttle, flaps, and gear switch - my Bonanza had a similar one), and the other was a Cessna 336 (fixed gear) Mixmaster taking off from my local airport. FAA determined the flaps were retracted (I guess they were required under certain conditions).

No surprise, the Baron was owned by a dentist with low time.

My old partner had a 337P (retract, turbo, pressurized) before I met him. He was a former Navy fighter jock, and I'd have had no reservations flying with him.

Somewhat OT, there have been what I'd say are an inordinate amount of light plane crashes lately, everything from Cessna 152s to Mitsubishi MU2s.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
There's a lot to be said about the Mixmaster-Cessna was onto something with this airframe.
Yes-the rear engine was a bear to work on and the gear in the 337's was an issue (retract) but the centerline thrust was solid in it's design.
We almost got a O-2 that had been sitting parked collecting paper wasp nests, spiders, etc and growing grass around flat tires at the Woodland, CA FBO we lived across the street from. I had gone through the channels to discover that the CDF (California Dept. of Forestry) had gotten the bird for $1.00 at surplusing from the Army (it served in Viet Nam as a Bird Dog) and since the current "owner" had left it unattended and unclaimed for 8 years against contract, we had a shot at getting it. It did need much help as half of the avionics were missing, God knows what shape the engines were in (even though it was flown in to its current spot, but it had all of the military radio equipment still in it, was painted in green camo, and had all of the observation plexi ports intact. Since hubby was an A&P/company aircraft inspector for UAL, getting it back in the air was no problem. We were in transit to Indiana (job transfer) and ran out of time. What a shame! It would have been such a thrill to have.
Oh yes-we both used to fly the puddle jumpers...now retired but probably would still be flying if we could have stayed out West. Our son is Navy and is trying to find one...if we'd gotten this Skymaster, it would literally be in the family.
Had to share this one....
Every bird has it quirks, just like anything else. But, you have to love them.

Marie

Posts: 81 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post