Forums    Community Announcements    Special news report.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Special news report. Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted
Any Plane Can Crash and Kill you Click on the fox news link.

Posts: 2580 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I was sitting at my home airport's FBO (Fixed Base Operator) shooting the bull with some other pilots, when one asked me why I bought my Bonanza, when I could have had a twin for about the same price.

I asked why a twin?

He said, "Well if an engine fails, you got another to get you to safety."

I said, "You know that engine that gets me to safety? That's the one I have in my airplane..."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8201 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Insurance rates tell the whole story.

Used twins are very reasonable to buy (as aircraft go) but many companies are requiring more training than the FAA and the insurance rates are very high compared to comparable single engine planes.

Engine failure almost always occurs at full throttle, usually just after takeoff, at low altitude. With a single there is no serious effect on handling. With one engine out on a twin the yaw with one engine at full throttle is almost too much to handle. Worse yet the twin operators often shut down the wrong engine. Statistics are clear, two engines is not usually safer than one.

Plus you have twice the engine maintenance/repair costs, twice the fuel burn as well. hmm

8607-3346-33TFPOB------9708-M0037-37MM-01
86 Regal SE 33 Tag axle--"98" Monarch 37
Chev P3(7) 454TBI--------Cummins 8.3 300 hp
400 hp fuel injected-------6 spd Allison, Spartan MM

Posts: 3224 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Any Plane Can Crash and Kill you Click on the fox news link.

Rusty and Steve, Did you pilots watch the video link above?

Posts: 2580 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I was too busy outside watching for planes crashing into my coach... confusion

They fly really low around here. If they try to land on the bridge or road they'll slide into the park! They are probably smugglers, they all have guns you know... Some drunk rookie pilot building time on a 2nd class airline, long hours on a boring schedule with old, barely maintained planes full of tourists. I can barely sleep at night...

Lets not even talk about the helicopters, skimming the tree tops, seconds away from the fireball landing...

What really scares me though, are the old people in their RVs! Tooling Along
(It is April 1, all the 3 month snow birds are heading north.)

8607-3346-33TFPOB------9708-M0037-37MM-01
86 Regal SE 33 Tag axle--"98" Monarch 37
Chev P3(7) 454TBI--------Cummins 8.3 300 hp
400 hp fuel injected-------6 spd Allison, Spartan MM

Posts: 3224 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I took my MEL checkride in a Travel Air 180, basically a twin Bonanza (The Twin Bonanza was a strange bird, and not related). That TA was a ground hugger. Later, I had a short ferry of the TA 200 (TC engines) - MUCH better performance.

The only twin I refused to fly was the Piper Apache - underpowered and sloppy controls. I did get a brief ride in a Geronimo Apache - that was a real sparkler.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8201 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
... and in Zephyrhills Florida, there folks jumping our of perfectly good airplanes everyday. I hope everyone enjoyed the link because EVERYTHING on the internet is gospel and true.

Here is the price to jump from perfectly good airplane

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
All I got to say is...
1. in a twin, never bank on a dead engine
2. when a chopper engine quits you also lose your wings
3. this pilot (me) would never jump out of a perfectly good running airplane

I have flown into Zephyrhills airport just as a jump plane was taking off with several jumpers and I had to wonder why would you want to do that.

Posts: 437 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
When I was 17 my dad moved us to Boulder Co. for a 6 mo. TA. During that time My parents earned there Pilots licenses. I went jumping during the same time. My mom would always make the statement about why would any one jump out of a perfectly good airplane. After coming to watch me jump one day and seeing the 180 with a plywood door, gutted interior and inspection door duct taped closed she made the comment that jumping out of that plane might be the best decision.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 779 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:

Here is the price to jump from perfectly good airplane

I am changing my statement from "perfectly good" to "barely able to fly" after reading Doorman's post. Thanks for pointing this out Craig (Doorman).