Barthmobile Portal
1977 Barth, 24' Class A Motorhome

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/393105162/m/9911045903

08-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Tom & Loraine
1977 Barth, 24' Class A Motorhome
quote:
I've got so many questions I'll probably need to organize a bulleted list.

Post away you'll get all the help you need on this great site. I always have. Nice Barth you got there.

If you're going to spend money on a used motorhome you can't go wrong with a Barth. I also thought about a buying a older Airstream before we bought the Barth, those used Airstreams are quite expensive they go for more than I paid for my Barth. I like having the Motorhome better anyway.

Looks like the GacoRoof Roof Coating is a excellent product, I will be needing to redo mine in the near future.

Have Fun!
08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
MattR
I only have seatbelts on the front sears. I've called everywhere and nobody will even talk a out seatbelts.
08-09-2014, 02:13 AM
rp's barth
Are you looking to replace the Belts I found a place called seatbelt planet on the internet. They Manufacturer seat belts, If you are looking to replace the current ones.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis
08-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Rusty
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com...LghsACFehj7Aod_AYA0g

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
08-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Neil T.
I bought lap belts for all my passenger seats from NAPA.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"
12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
MattR
I guess you just put a bolt through the floor and a nut underneath on the outside?

The seatbelts up front are fine I was just wondering about carrying more than two passengers legally. Two seats swivel and don't seem like valid seats while traveling and the bench actually said not for use while driving so I guess its just only for 2 people legally.

Regarding the roof ...
I'm using a heat gun to remove all the tar. Then I'll use some sort of solvent to get rid of the residue. I'm going to replace the vents with fantastic vents and new vents for the plumbing. I'll put them back down with Dicor lap sealant, use the sealant tape decor makes for the front back and side seams and then use the metal roof sealant across the whole roof rolled/painted on.
12-17-2014, 05:18 PM
ccctimtation
quote:
Originally posted by MattR:
I guess you just put a bolt through the floor and a nut underneath on the outside?

Back in the days when seat belts were not mandated kits came with a fender washer and lock washer. I usually put the fender washer first then a regular washer and an aircraft nut.
12-17-2014, 06:19 PM
bill h
Seat belts need good metal to metal force transfer. On a MH with plywood floor, there should be a steel bar underneath, transferring the force to metal structure. I guess a very large washer might be OK, if it were REALLY LARGE. But, you would then be depending on how well the plywood is attached to the rail.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
12-18-2014, 02:13 PM
ccctimtation
Exactly Bill, however until the plywood comes loose and the cabinets start flying it is good to be anchored. Might still be good to be anchored to the plywood. Smiler
12-18-2014, 05:35 PM
MattR
Does anyone know what the area above the windshield is? Is that painted steel? (where the yellow upper lights are mounted)

It doesn't appear to be aluminum. I'm guessing since its more a structural section than a skinned aluminum frame in that area it must be something other than aluminum. I figure I may strip that and paint it. I want to buff the whole thinking like a vintage plane and design and paint on some sort of insignia ...
12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Rusty
It's likely fiberglass, as it doesn't have the usual Barth stamped corners.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
12-19-2014, 08:35 PM
bill h
My monochrome monitor doesn't tell me much, but my bet is aluminum, as the fiberglass brow didn't appear until later, when the overhang appeared.

But, all Barths are different, so scrape it with a pocket knife, to be sure. Or twirl a small drill between your fingers to expose bare metal. An experienced ear can rap it with something and tell, also.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
12-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Doorman
Unless yours is something odd you will find that it is a .040 die stamped aluminum. I wondered how the corners on Barths were formed till I saw the die stamped pre cut units auctioned off at Millford.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath
12-20-2014, 07:18 PM
REGLOVER
My 1976 is fiberglass.

Ralph Glover
1976 27' Barth
P-30 454
1998 Tracker Toad
12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
MattR
I'm not sure how bad this is but it doesn't look promising I pulled the upper area behind the pulldown bunk out. It's the vinyl wrapped sort of cubbyhole behind of the fiberglass area around the window. It looks like fiberglass with a steel platform and that platform as a lip that is part of the window seal. It talks in behind the inside rubber seal on the window along with the vinyl that wraps it and it's been leaking and rusting for a long time. I'm not sure that that steel section or the fiberglass section holds most of the weight of the window ...