New Barth
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rp's barth:
I found the original tag on the wall above the driver and took a picture but it is not clear enough to read i will get a pen and write everything down and post it tonight, the other one was in the paperwork i got with the Barth, The Barth you see here is my old Barth that is a 1979 the new one is 1982 But was built in late 81,
I'll straighten out the signature profile once you post the new info Richard.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I was studying Mechanical Engineering planning on going into motorhome design in the early 1980's. I visited the Foretravel factory in Nacodoches Texas in 1982. They had ACRES of Dodge motorhome chassis'. They made Foretravel motohomes on Dodge chassis until, I think, 1985. (I think Executive did the same thing also.) Ironically, Dodge quit making motorhome chassis in 1979 or 1980. I was told by one of their production people that they stocked up on Dodge chassis in 1979, when Dodge quit making them because they did not want to convert over to a Chevy chassis. (Foretravel used the straight axle, Dodge chassis because it was a heavier chassis than a Chevy....you rarely saw a tag axle Dodge.) He said they had enough chassis' for 5 or 6 years production before they'd have to change over.

Of course, if you remember the times in the mid 1980's, I remember MANY times hearing that "Chevy is going to quit making the 454 next year... NO MORE V-8's next year....All cars will be front-wheel drive...."

There were many plans to scrap the large, V-8 engines....but many times, plans and demand all go awry....hence all the front-wheel drive cars. In 1985, when Cadillac introduced the front wheel drive Deville, it was originally designed to take place of the rear-wheel drive Cadillac. But by the time production came around, gas was cheaper, economy was better, production dies were paid for and they still had a good market for the RWD cars...same at Buick, Olds, Lincoln, etc...You had FWD and RWD cars. (Cadillac used the same dies on the full size car from 1980 until 1992. Car companies make a LOT of money using the same dies for years. My Suburban was from 1973 until 1992 on same dies.)

How many times have you heard of "no more RWD Lincolns?" I've heard that for 10 years.

There might be chance that Barth stocked up on Chevy chassis' because of the rumors that they were going to be discontinued....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post