Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Big Bad Bertha the Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Raven1962
posted
Howdy, from Cedar Creek, Texas!

Took a hyatus, while waiting to get the Barth moved, so I could work on her...

Gonna be a chore, but I have ideas and can use all the help I can get, too...

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Our working theory is that this was a mobile power supply, for a portable stage/concert production unit. The 1st owner was "Base Corp." of Framingham, Mass., which led to a patent for an accoustic exhaust silencer, which led to Bose Corp., of... Framingham, Mass.

The few people at Bose I have spoken with are clueless, but with a working theory, I might get a better lead on the actual purpose and original interior.

Along with the huge rear-generator, in the 1st bay below and behind the drivers door, there are 3 remaining (originally 4) 220/240 VAC outlets.

I don't know what others have, but I'm in an all-electric house with only 4 things that use 220... the Central A/C, the Water-heater, the Dryer, and the Range...All at once might not tax this generator...

The lack of windows would seem to indicate storage, rather than occupancy... Lights, amps, speakers, and control-boards don't need windows, nor would prying eyes be helpful...

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven . Welcome to barthmobile .
From western Pa . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
1st run in about 10 years... ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Throttle sticks, definitely need carb. work, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG7Jrq9xKgU&
feature=youtu.be

Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Actually, sounds pretty good for sitting that long. It seems to be firing all cylinders, fairly smooth! Good luck with your project. Thumbs Up mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Great video! It think that you need to check to see if that black paint is radar-absorbing.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Big Honkin' genny...

3 remaining, of 4 220/240VAC outlets

Approximate layout we want to remodel her to...

LR Sofa may be more like a berth on a passenger train, so youngest daughter and others can have a more private space, during trips.

Desk behind the passenger seat will actually be a modified Victorian Era Upright Piano converted to a desk.

Waiting on a settlement, which could be here any day now, then gut and rebuild/remodel from the ground up.

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Even I am humbled by your project. mechanic

It will be great when done and you will know every system by heart. You will have another unique Barth coach! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Really like the floor plan. Would be quite livable for a full-timer. Especially like the big bathroom. Double vanities!! Wow.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile, I also have a former commercial unit. Mine was the Command Center for the Maryland State Police and is a 33' tag axle.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Really like the floor plan. Would be quite livable for a full-timer. Especially like the big bathroom. Double vanities!! Wow.
Jim

Thank you. I worked hard, researching and comparing to what we have and what we want.

Interior will be retro-ish. Styling reasonable close to old-time Victorian-era private railroad cars. White-Marble-looking melamine for the ceilings, wood paneling, Probably a full 30" gas range from Elmira, or similar, with a modern fridge hidden in a new casing to look like an ice-box, latches and all.

If I'm going to do it, it's going to be right. Spray-in insulation, the works.

Have an Art Deco style gauge cluster from a 1930-31 Chrysler Royal Coupe to refurbish and update, to go in the dash. Go digital with a Nixie-like numeric display, based off the 007 "Goldfinger" bomb timer display...

http://makezine.com/2012/02/18...-nixie-tube-display/

http://www.tubeclockdb.com/for...dgelit-Reloaded.html

Greta and I plan to go Full-time, and quit paying someone else' bank-notes. That's why I tried to lay it out more like a home, instead of just something to travel in.

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Very nice to see someone who appreciates and appears capable of this resurrection. Thumbs Up

I've got you listed in the "Data Tag Project" and I'll be getting you up on our map shortly.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Bertha gets a donor Barth for parts...

Local RV storage had a fella pass away several years ago, his mother doesn't want and couldn't afford the fees on his Barth Rebuild: 1975 Barth MC w/tag axle

http://s268.photobucket.com/us...umbnail%201.jpg.html

http://i268.photobucket.com/al...lf/thumbnail%204.jpg

Interior is as bad, or worse than Bertha. Anything I can salvage for Bertha will go into our rebuild and remodel. the rest will be parted out. I know the drivers' half-windshield is cracked,

Jeff & Greta Frusha
Luling, TX
'84 Euro Special (35 ft)
'75 MC (33 ft)