Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

SLEEPER My Barth Pickup Slide In Camper
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Night Sailor
posted
I bought a Barth pickup slide in camper a few months back that I have named Sleeper. The obvious part of the name is for one of its uses, but the hidden meaning is that I intend it to be more than it seems.

The particular truck camper had some water damage which was fine by me because I would have a hard time gutting a camper that looked nice inside. It turns out it had more than I thought.

In any event, I was inspired by some of the older Airstream trailers I had seen that we're gutted and rebuilt better than new. I restore boats so I have some interesting ideas that carry over from that.

First is the concept, lighter is better. Copper and black pipe are heavy, and I would focus on keeping things light while adding modern features. Water resistance and durability are also important to me. I do t want to put a lot of effort into this and ever need to readdress water damage issues. Still there will always be maintenance, so I want it to be maintainable. More on this later.

I spent the last few months kicking ideas around and working on one of my boats. All the while I have been thinking about camping in Ontario's cottage country. It was time to get started. I spent the last two days gutting most of the interior. I will finish gutting it tomorrow and then start repairing dents, resealing seams, and begin wiring. I expect this work to take a while and I was going to use this forum to show my progress but instead decided to ease of loading pictures and so forth to create a blog on it. I do not have much to show for it yet, but I have started the restoration. If anyone would like to offer comments or suggestions I'd welcome that.

My Blog:

http://barthpickupcamper.blogspot.com/

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your project. We'll be waiting to see the finished beauty......................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Looking good so far! I love the idea of a yacht theme as well.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nice blog you got going there. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post
Not much of a blog yet. I have barely begun. I am in the middle of several other projects, two boats, two minor boat trailers projects. So it will take a while.

I am nearly done with one boat and the other one is big and it is getting a whole new interior --that will take a lot of time.

The nice thing about the Barth, is that it is right here behind the barn. I can walk out there anytime. I like slide in campers because I can still tow a boat trailer. I want to be able to pull four Sunfishes to Florida in the winter, or take my 30 sloop anywhere. None of these boats have a place to live while driving around.

Being into sailboat, I don't need a lot of space.

I see the gorgeous motor coaches and I love them, but they are too big for me. I want to get 13-14 mpg which I think is achievable with my Silverado with camper and a light trailer behind it.

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Hey! This blog [with lots of pics] is still up....
even has a nice discussion
about using wood stove inside his Barth!!!

http://barthpickupcamper.blogspot.com/

...and info for stoves:

https://rockymountaintinyhouse...ons-for-tiny-houses/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post
I sold this camper and the blog was my own. The fellow I passed it on to will be finishing it off.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Does he know about this site?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post