Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Unique Toad
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted
I got a chance to dig my speeder out of the shed last week and figured I should get a pic of it behind the barth....

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Now thats what I call railroading. Something a little larger than Rusty's G gauge, but not much considering the size of the man cave. cheers

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a little larger than G gauge. Nice thing with this gauge is all the scenicking is already done for you Tooling Along

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What do you use that on? Regular RR tracks? That opens up a bunch of questions. Permitting? Knowing when a train is coming? confusion

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
What do you use that on? Regular RR tracks? That opens up a bunch of questions. Permitting? Knowing when a train is coming? confusion

Yes, it is used on regular railroad tracks. All of your questions are good ones. That's why all runs are sanctioned with the railroads. I'm a member of NARCO, a national organization of about 1800 operators. We are licensed and insured The runs are planned with the host railroad and track fees are paid. There are usually 20 to 30 cars on a run. On an active railroad we go out similar to a work crew (that is what the cars were originally designed for)we go onto a siding when a train approaches and continue when dispatched.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
we go onto a siding when a train approaches

When I was a kid, the IC and/or RI work crews had a pair of wheelbarrow-like handles on each end of the work car to lift it off the track to let a train pass. Or to turn it around. People still referred to them as handcars, but I never was an actual handcar.

They had a motor that ran on kerosene, and fired about every other telegraph pole, I think.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Who is responsible for "getting track and time, also permits" from the host railroad.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:

a pair of wheelbarrow-like handles on each end of the work car to lift it off the track to let a train pass.

they still have the handles. Mine is a little heavy to lift with the handles but the smaller cars do use them.

quote:

They had a motor that ran on kerosene, and fired about every other telegraph pole, I think.

the older ones like that are affectionately called "poppers" because of the distinct pop they make as they fire

quote:

Who is responsible for "getting track and time, also permits" from the host railroad.

The organization is divided into 11 different areas with each area having a number of clubs that organize the runs within their area. The clubs will have excursion coordinators that deal with the railroads and plan the events. Most of the runs are single day or two day events although some are organized with multiple railroads over 8 to 10 days

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
TJ, did you ever met Ric Tritsch? He used to own a couple of speeders.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
TJ, did you ever met Ric Tritsch? He used to own a couple of speeders.

I don't think we've met. Where does he live? Most of the runs that I have attended were on the left coast.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3