Tools
Reply To This Topic

My 89 22 Foot Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The Paint looks fantastic.

As for tires, guess that's up to the buyer. Personally, all tires have to pass DOT standards and RV tires usually expire from age, not wear. Have never heard of anyone having a blowout from any tires without an ulterior reason. Had one blow out last year, my own fault put a valve stem extension on an inner dually that broke off, emptied the tire it disintegrated. The tires were about 10 years old, but like new thread and manufactured overseas. The single tire took me a lot of miles at highway speeds, was not aware the inner had blown so even at that age they were pretty strong. Had a Winnebago E'landan years ago the guy I bought it from after I told him the tires showed lots of age cracks and were probably over 15 years old said those cracked tires had lots of recent miles on them, being a bit ignorant, just replaced the front ones used the back as they were, one did blowout, so age can be important when tires show their age.

When I worked for Dometic, took the company Holliday Rambler on a trip. Do not remember what the tire was but my guess it was a Goodyear. Back tire blew, don't know why. Holliday ran all the coach wiring through that wheel well, the tire took all the wiring out. What a mess was on my way to a football game in Iowa city. Spliced what I could back together got a new tire and finished my trip.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Wow. Paint work is very expensive. confusion

A full paint job is worth more than the coach! It does look great though.

Personally I spend more on my driveline and chassis first. I got a new 454HO crate engine for my 86 for less than 6K. New brakes, shocks, tires, radiator, new transmission, driveshaft. Drove it for over 40,000 miles.

As for tires, look at what the long haul truckers use. Don't see many Goodyears or Michelins there. I had some Goodyears on my Regal, they went out of round before they wore out. Tom Johns had Michelins on his Regency, one failed and trashed the rear wheelwell. High dollar tires are no guarantee. Good quality fleet tires have served me well so far, just keep them out of the sun when sitting. I have 30,000 miles on my Monarch tires now. I would avoid retreads for sure. hmm

Posts: 58 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with thinking a full paint job is worth more than the coach. My paint cost $6100..I wouldn't take a cent less than $30k for my Barth.I went through the drivetrain before it was painted. Actually a lot of big trucks run Michelins, especially on the steering axle. There's a reason big trucks aren't running Asian junk.
The majority of people with part of their RV in shreds on the side of the road were running junk not Michelins or Good Year tires.

Posts: 58 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You suggested a full paint job would be $20k. Good luck getting more than that for your Regal. Most diesel pushers are going for that or less. I had over $25k in my 33 Regal tag axle. New 454HO engine, new trans, brakes, tires, radiator, suspension, appliances. It sold for $13.5k. Good luck!

Above all, drive it and enjoy it! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
ROI on toys is enjoyment, the point is to make appreciation exceed depreciation. JMO

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
ROI on toys is enjoyment, the point is to make appreciation exceed depreciation. JMO

Absolutely! Thumbs Up

I drove that Regal over 40,000 miles, the guy who bought it drove it right to Texas from Michigan and he is still driving it. I was ready for the bigger coach and glad to find someone who would enjoy using it, at any price. It was worth every hour and every dime I put into it. No regrets.

I will be unlikely to get back what I have into my Monarch. Don't care. Over 30,000 more miles on it now, many good times and many new friends involved. I've spent several winters living in it in Florida now, hopefully more to come.
Still upgrading, still enjoying it. As always:

Have Barth, will travel! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post