Forums    Pictures of My Barth    My 89 22 Foot Regal
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic
  
My 89 22 Foot Regal
 Login now/Join our community
 
posted
6 New Michelins yesterday, and my wheel liners, hub caps shined up pretty good. I've been prepping it for new paint soon.It will be factory colors.

 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just curious

i have a similar Barth 1990 same colors
how do you like your new tires , i have new tires made in Vietnam . they seam fine bit but some say the more expensive tires are better . comment?

what do you guess or know the paint job will cost .
 
Posts: 63 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug.A
posted Hide Post
Good tires are an essential safety item. If you are in the USA go to an establ;ished reputable tire dealer and tell them the application. Here I use either Les Shwab or my local commercial vehicle tire dealer, as really we are driving a truck, not a car or van.

I would not use cheap foreign tires EVER as you do not want to experience a blow-out at speed, nor a sudden lack of grip because of poorly designed tread patters, materials or sidewalls.

I like Toyo, Michelin, the Les Shwab ow brand (Coopers) and similar.

As for paint job, it depends on the complexity. there are a lot of colours on mine, and its a skilled job as there's a great deal of sealing... several thousand is my bet. I have often considered getting a quote for 'wrapping'...
 
Posts: 24 | Location: Tualatin Oregon USA | Member Since: 10-08-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Lots of opinion on tires for motorhomes, personally, try to find a less expensive tire usually Asian, they all have to meet load carrying standards. The tread might not last as long as an expensive tire, but when was the last time anyone wore the tread off, mostly all coach tires expire from age.

Take exception for (Ed) Mwrench he does a lot of miles.

BTW Jeff you have the same paint job and colors as my 25 Ft Regal, the clear coat is peeling a few spots on it. Curious how much your paint job costs?/


Barthless!!!
 
Posts: 1835 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Finn:
just curious

i have a similar Barth 1990 same colors
how do you like your new tires , i have new tires made in Vietnam . they seam fine bit but some say the more expensive tires are better . comment?

what do you guess or know the paint job will cost .
 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't checked in for a while, the new paint cost $6k. I wouldn't gamble on any tire from Asia. Michelins or Good Year are my choice for tires. I'll try and post a picture with fresh paint.

 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Finn:
just curious

i have a similar Barth 1990 same colors
how do you like your new tires , i have new tires made in Vietnam . they seam fine bit but some say the more expensive tires are better . comment?

what do you guess or know the paint job will cost .
 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my other reply I forgot to tell you how I like the new Michelins...I LOVE them! They ride quiet, track good, look nice,I had Westlake tires with good tread on the coach when we bought it with great tread and 2 years old but just imagine getting a blowout at 60 mph or more. Peace of mind is priceless. The charcoal color, and silver on the sides of the coach are the original paint, I'm going to polish and wax it. All the paint on rear of bus is new. The silver paint along the roofline is new. The Ruby Wine color is paint code S5w 2018 Hyundai SUV color. Silver Ice paint code K23, and charcoal color is Samaraigraw LM7Q... I have to find out if they are colors on modern cars. With modern colors it's easy to find touch up paint.

 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Lots of opinion on tires for motorhomes, personally, try to find a less expensive tire usually Asian, they all have to meet load carrying standards. The tread might not last as long as an expensive tire, but when was the last time anyone wore the tread off, mostly all coach tires expire from age.

Take exception for (Ed) Mwrench he does a lot of miles.

BTW Jeff you have the same paint job and colors as my 25 Ft Regal, the clear coat is peeling a few spots on it. Curious how much your paint job costs?/
 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 2 days with single edge razor blades removing clearcoat. That's when I thought I'd be painting it myself. Partial paint job was $6K, I got 3 estimates and 2 of them were $10. I'm about 90% happy with the new paint, I expected better prepping and taping though. I'm taking it back to the paint shop next month for them to finish the job RIGHT ...I "hope". These days it seems like you gotta pay $20K or more if you want show quality! I've got some orange peel, over spray, and a handful of runs in the color coat and clear coat.
I'm going to paint the front of the coach myself with a 2k spray can system and spray can clear coat because it's a relatively small area 8 foot wide by about 6 inches tall, and 8' wide by 1-1/2 " wide of charcoal color.

 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug.A:
Good tires are an essential safety item. If you are in the USA go to an establ;ished reputable tire dealer and tell them the application. Here I use either Les Shwab or my local commercial vehicle tire dealer, as really we are driving a truck, not a car or van.

I would not use cheap foreign tires EVER as you do not want to experience a blow-out at speed, nor a sudden lack of grip because of poorly designed tread patters, materials or sidewalls.

I like Toyo, Michelin, the Les Shwab ow brand (Coopers) and similar.

As for paint job, it depends on the complexity. there are a lot of colours on mine, and its a skilled job as there's a great deal of sealing... several thousand is my bet. I have often considered getting a quote for 'wrapping'...
 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100%. NEVER buy cheap tires...NEVER!
My friend up in Vancouver Washington just had a bad experience with a Les Shwabb tire shop. He took a 2021 Ford F-450 there to rotate the tires...they scratched the Hell out of the 2 front aluminum wheels. Ford sells them for $1561.00 each. Ol Les doesn't want to buy him new wheels. I love my steel wheel liners, aluminum wheels are scary.

 
Posts: 51 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-15-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/22
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow. Paint work is very expensive. confusion

A full paint job is worth more than the coach! It does look great though.

Personally I spend more on my driveline and chassis first. I got a new 454HO crate engine for my 86 for less than 6K. New brakes, shocks, tires, radiator, new transmission, driveshaft. Drove it for over 40,000 miles.

As for tires, look at what the long haul truckers use. Don't see many Goodyears or Michelins there. I had some Goodyears on my Regal, they went out of round before they wore out. Tom Johns had Michelins on his Regency, one failed and trashed the rear wheelwell. High dollar tires are no guarantee. Good quality fleet tires have served me well so far, just keep them out of the sun when sitting. I have 30,000 miles on my Monarch tires now. I would avoid retreads for sure. hmm


9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 300 hp
 
Posts: 4885 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Looks really nice Smiler


Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW
 
Posts: 500 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Been RVing since 1978 and have more than a few tires, Now I like cheap as they set most of the time. My current rear Triangle tires are DOT dated 2013 and still look new. Have had michelan rot away and go flat. Goodyears out round.

I understand that asian tires have more natural rubber. Whatever the reason 4 new ones will be on the rear this spring.


'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance
 
Posts: 1163 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

    Forums    Pictures of My Barth    My 89 22 Foot Regal

This website is dedicated to the Barth Custom Coach, their owners and those who admire this American made, quality crafted, motor coach.
We are committed to the history, preservation and restoration of the Barth Custom Coach.