Tools
Reply To This Topic

1985 Barth in for sale section
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/21
Picture of HeartBarths
posted
Hello - This is the Barth for sale.

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthNeeds454:

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!!! I love it!! I just need help with the motor!! LOL. It was kept in the family and really cared for. Smiler

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Those 454's are tough ole guys, the top side is fairly easy to work on, so if the problem is in the heads or even the cam, not in the lower engine. Perhaps a less costly fix. There are a couple of guys on here pretty close to you that might give you some advice. Sure would be great if you could save it.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I would love that!!

Head was apparently rebuilt before we bought it. Since then, a rod "went loose" now it won't start. Is that the top or bottom of the engine?

EDITED - Brother can't help. Still for sale. If I have to get it towed I will so it "doesn't rot" but not being avid camper or mechanical, its probably a better gem for someone else. Afraid of huge bill.

P.S. A friend's neighbor just bought one much like yours!

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Sorry if you lost a rod, probably need a new engine...lots of money and work ..has that been confirmed?

Rare to lose a rod unless the engine went without oil or oil pressure.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
a rod "went loose"

find out if this is a push rod or a connecting rod. A push rod is a $5 problem, if it is a connecting rod, it will be considerably more.

The push rod problem is an easy fix with easy access from the top of the engine. If it is a connecting rod problem, it is not an easy fix, and the access is difficult.

Good Luck!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
If it is a connecting rod problem, it is not an easy fix, and the access is difficult. Matt

Ditto that. confusion

About 9 years ago, I started to replace a leaking rear main crankshaft seal on my 86 454. It turned into a crankshaft replacement. It was a MAJOR job from under the engine. I would never do that again. Had I known how it would turn out I would have removed the engine. Repairing a bad connecting rod requires crankshaft replacement. I would recommend removing the engine.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5933940277

Speaking of removing the engine, I did that some time later. I replaced that engine with a better one and gave the old one to Mary Ray.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6693923287

Either way it is a big job. Good luck with your project.

Have Barth, will tinker Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Hello,

No. Not sure rod is "lost" but was loose, now not running. Someone mentioned making a track to get engine out, a shop said they could get engine out fairly easily by cutting off front. So, yes its for sale.

But I am also hoping to get her running again!!! Whichever happens first. Maybe roll back top back and lift the engine out? Haha!!

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
"find out if this is a push rod or a connecting rod. A push rod is a $5 problem, if it is a connecting rod, it will be considerably more.

The push rod problem is an easy fix with easy access from the top of the engine. If it is a connecting rod problem, it is not an easy fix, and the access is difficult."

Thank you Matt!!! I am working on getting someone to look at it.

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
How did you end up getting the engine out? Also, I am a teacher (and female!) so, I probably will not be very good at an engine project!!! LOL

My brother says he is, so if I'm lucky that will work out!! Glad to know there are experts on here to ask for advice!!

Thanks so much!

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Once I rolled the engine back to the doorway, my neighbor lifted it with his backhoe bucket. We strapped a piece of heavy pipe across the top of the bucket to fashion a one armed fork lift. It would have been easy enough to back my pickup next to the Barth door and roll it out on planks. It weighs about 700 lbs so things must be fairly stout.

Once I built the lifting frame straddling the engine it was not that bad to lift it and roll it out. Other than removing the seats there was little disruption to the coach.

I taught high school chemistry for 25 years.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HeartBarths:
How did you end up getting the dngine out? Also, I am a teacher so, I probably will not be very good at an engine project!!! LOL

! p-30 swap /QUOTE]

I think I this might be a great to swap engine

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post