Forums    Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics    July 1969 Barth Continental Trailer
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

July 1969 Barth Continental Trailer
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Popular Science July 1969: Barth Continental Trailer blurb on its Astrodome Skylight - Plexiglas roof.

I wonder if the owners, or the lawyers, for the Astrodome Stadium found it amusing?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if the owners, or the lawyers, for the Astrodome Stadium found it amusing?

Maybe thats where they got the name from?

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
That would be toasty here in Florida during the summer months! Eeker

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
Maybe thats where they got the name from?
I'm assuming you are pondering that the Astros Baseball franchise could have gotten the name of the Astrodome from Barth? For this... we go to Google's Search engine.

The Astrodome opened its doors on April 9, 1965 for an exhibition game with the New York Yankees. At that time, it was billed as the Eighth Wonder of the World by then Astros' owner, Judge Roy Hofheinz.

The ceiling of the world's first all-weather, multi-purpose domed stadium, made it too difficult for the players to catch balls that inevitably got lost in the semitransparent cream-colored panels. So, they decided to paint the ceiling tiles. Eventually the natural grass died from lack of proper sunlight. This prompted the invention of Astroturf.

Just the name "Astrodome" Conjures up an image that this might have had a "domed like" appearance.

I looked again at the blurb... No mention of Astroturf replacing the carpeting. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The term Astrodome was around long before Houston even had a baseball team or changed the name of their stadium to Astrodome.

Our Boeing 707 airliners had a domed ceiling in the first class lounge that was called the Astrodome. Our international 707s had a plexiglass dome in the cockpit roof for celestial navigation that was also referred to by both flight crew and maintenance as the astrodome.

This was probably because our jets were called Astrojets, then later Astroliners, so it was not much of a stretch to have a domed ceiling called an Astrodome. This was before both Houston and Barth.

As a side note, our cleaning crews referred to the TP in the lavs as Astrowipe.

I'll bet that trailer was hot in the sun and cold in the winter. And the morning sun would be rude to late sleepers.

Our Fantastic Fan has a double plexi lid, and we use a foam stuffer on cold winter nights.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We own a 28 foot 69 Barth contennental travel trailer with a astrodome in the roof, the 12 volt lighting system lights it not the outside sunshine. we love our Barth and still use it often as it is in great shape for its age. We keep it at S&H campgrounds in greenfield, in.

Posts: 1 | Location: indianapolis,in USA | Member Since: 04-27-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WIREDRALPH:
we love our Barth and still use it often as it is in great shape for its age. We keep it at S&H campgrounds in greenfield, in.
Welcome to our site. Would love to get a few pictures of your coach. Is it still registered or do you have the vin# for it?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
We own a 28 foot 69 Barth continental travel trailer...
Was sent this interior shot - will post more when I receive them.
quote:
I have only one picture showing a little of the astrodome roof. I will have to take one the next time we use our Berth hear are a few pictures of our Barth continental travel trailer.

Ralph and di

Only one image came into my email.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Received a few more images of WIREDRALPH's 1969 Barth Travel Trailer with a Astrodome Skylight Installed

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
They must have REALLY smooth roads in Indianopolis. Big Grin

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
They must have REALLY smooth roads in Indianopolis. Big Grin
When I first saw these pics I thought that too - but then I remember what 'RALPH said.
quote:
We own a 28 foot 69 Barth contennental travel trailer with a astrodome in the roof...it is in great shape for its age. We keep it at S&H campgrounds in greenfield, in.
They gave me the data tag number for the coach (693-703-28) and will take a few pictures of the skylight and exterior for our files.

It's pretty neat seeing these older trailers still being used as campers. We keep bumping into different things that Barth did. An Astrodome Skylight... and still in use... Thumbs Up Pretty cool.

When I first posted this I thought that any of these campers with that style roof have either been sheet-metaled over or have succumbed to the effects of time, snowloads or UV Degregation.

Now we've also got someone who has a Barth motorhome with that style roof too. It keeps getting interesting. Don't know if it's original - could be.

When I see stuff like this - I wonder. How many people have different things in their coach that they think are plain and someone else might find pretty interesting.

I love seeing period pieces redone in that era style, designs or motif.

For new members who are getting a feel for the site - say hi and show us a few pics... Pictures Of My Barth It's a great way to break the ice.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis