Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

alignment spes
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Has anyone used the alignment specs for the supersteer bellcrank.I am a little worried that with the inch difference in caster and the 1/4 incj difference in camber is gonna cause a lot of pull.If i can get some good reviews from some that has used these specs with good results would make me a lot more comfortable in using them.

Posts: 15 | Location: charlotte nc | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Camber and caster are not changed by the bell crank, it may be the spec that is recommended. Increasing caster a bit is a good thing as it will track straighter, increasing camber (to the negative side) will improve steering response.

What I am confused about, caster and camber values are usually expressed in degrees, not in inches.

I assume you have a P30 chassis?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Front Spec -Tol. +Tol.______
Left Camber 0.25 0.25 0.25
Right Camber 0.00 0.25 0.25
Cross Camber 0.25
Left Caster 5.00 1.00 1.00
Right Caster 6.00 1.00 1.00
Cross Caster 1.00
Total Toe .25 in .06 in .06 in--This is the specs for the supersteer bellcrank.I would like to use them but as you can see their is 0.25 difference in camber and 1.00 diference in caster.Most alignment shops will only add maybe at the most 1/2 an inch difference in caster.and camber is supposed to be the same side to side or it will pull to the side with the most positive.This is why i am worried that with this much difference will cause a pull but henderson has such a rep for knowing their stuff when it comes to these p30s.

Posts: 15 | Location: charlotte nc | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe I think if you double check, the camber and caster numbers are expressed in degrees NOT inches.

Adding 0.25 degrees to the camber is very acceptable and desired and adding 1 degree to the caster will result in much better "on center" road feel.

Toe is the only number of the alignment spec expressed in inches (actually fractions of inches) and today with the modern laser alignment even toe is now expressed in degrees.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everywhere i read says that the camber should be the same side to side or it will pull and the caster should be only at the most 0.50 degree differene for road crown.If to much of a difference it will create to much of a pull to one side.Should i ignore this.Is this just a suggestion.

posted Hide Post
Absolutely correct, a good alignment shop should be able to dial in a balanced number side to side unless the frame or "A" frames are tweaked/bent.

Also the camber and to a lesser extent caster, will change if the ride height changes due to varying loaded weight, or unbalanced weight side to side.

Load it the way you will be running down the road considering changes due to fuel used etc. and then have it aligned. You will be fine if everything is tight.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
I really wished i could just take the coach in for an alignment and tell them to align it.The problem is with the p 30 somethings they usually wind up treating it like a truck instead of a motorhome chassis.So i have to try and take controll of the ball myself and get the best alignment specs that will work.I read a forum a couple of weeks ago on here and saw these specs on their along with a couple other specs by ipd and p series motorhome manual that bill h posted.Im just afraid of using them because of the big side to side difference.I just wished i could get some reviews from someone that know first hand.

posted Hide Post
So has any one got any good reviews about the henderson specs.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about all the caster, camber business, a good front end spring and brake truck out fit can set things up according to mfg spec

+ their knowledge and you are good to go. truck or motor home or halftrack. the bias between left and right is usually designed to compensate for the crown of the road. IMHO
have fun and don't try to over drive you equipment

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post