Forums    Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics    Were all the Barths custom in the earlier years
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Were all the Barths custom in the earlier years
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I've just recently got into RVing. I bought a 1978 22'commander in Feb (big mistake)I found my Barth in March.It's a 1980 35'tandem axel with a 454 chevy and a 7000w kolher gen.No basment storage. Front liv,center din/kitchen rear bed walk around queen bed. It looks like I'm the third owner. I've been redoing and replacing sence the day I got her. Orignaly the carpet was brown and the dash ect was a carmel color that looked like leather. The exterior was orignally several different green colors as well as the silver. Looks like someone re did it during the 80s everthing was done in gray and mauve. The dash looked like it was out of a semi. Exterior was done in blk/silver/burgendy still looks good. I see this color sceme on quite a few from the 80s. I've replaced the driver/passenger seats with leather 6way pwr seats out of an american eagle.New carpet/sofa.Reupholstered the dinette and window trims.Oh and completely tore the dash apart and rebuilt it which now also houses a 19"tv with AV equiptment overhead. I spend more time working on my Barth then my house. It has become our second home. Have yet to start to redo the kitchen and bath,but it's comming. Im sure Im putting more money into it then it's worth but we plan on keeping it so I convince myself it doesn't matter. The engine only has about 40k on it and runs well. We got home from a wknd trip and my partner said to me,(I didn't want to worry you but I heard a grinding sound above the rear axel's) Had to have the bering and seals in the rearend I've also replaced,new brakes,hoses,belts,alt,batt,tires,air bags.You get the picture.

I do have a question to throw out there. On my 1980 the head lamps are round. I'm looking for a bra containing the rectangler head lamps that I can retro fit. Just like the look a little better. Am also looking for anyone who's engine has found a solution for getting the GM engine to run cooler at higher speed and ideling. Being in Florida summer heat. I've already installed a lg elec cooling fan infront and it helps but im convinced it should run cooler. I am considering installing a large heater core under the coach twords the rear to the lines that were once for the hot water and rear heat?

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Boy, you went from one of the lowest to one of the best, didn't you?

If you want to convert to rectangular headlamps, the whole assembly is from Cadillac. Search this site for specifics.

As for the overheating, again, search this site. How hot does it get? Have you verified the accuracy of your gage?

I will say that fans pull better than they push. On mine, I removed the dash air condenser, as we run the gen and roof air. A Desert Cooler radiator from US Radiator is really good, too. As is a high flow water pump from Edelbrock or Moroso. And a new factory fan clutch. Does your fan kick in at around 205 to 210 degrees? It should roar like a P47 when it does. Try Water Wetter from Redline.

Much of the air that comes in your grille takes a short cut out and does not go through the radiator. Get some heavy vinyl, contact cement, and some velcro and put up some "curtains" to direct all the air through the radiator.

How hot is your trans running? You know, all of its heat is put in to the radiator. Either through the heat exchanger tube in the tank or the finned cooler in front of the radiator, if you have one. If you do have a cooler in front of the radiator, get rid of it and put in a fan cooled trans cooler somewhere besides in front of the radiator. Or relocate your present cooler and put a fan on it.

I suspect your coach has a sheet metal splash shield inside the left front wheel well, but not the right. Buy one from Chevy or make one to more or less match the left. I can supply a pattern.

Consider an air dam or spoiler under the radiator crossmember. It will create a low pressure area behind the radiator that will help air flow through it. That plastic lawn edge barrier works quite well.

Make sure your timing is set correctly.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice. Thanks for giving me another couple of projects to do on my 1991 460 33 footer. I think the heavy vinyl will help alot.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post