Forums    Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics    Rising Fuel Costs - Consumer's Phenomenon Here
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rising Fuel Costs - Consumer's Phenomenon Here
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
For those of us who own oil burners, aka diesels, we use a pyrometer which measures exhaust gas temperature. The higher the number the more fuel is being consumed (BTU's are being generated)thus giving you a good idea of the load being placed on the engine. Our EGT's run between 750 & 850 degrees at 65 MPH cruise on flat land with no wind. At 750 degrees we average 8.5 mpg and @ 850 degrees we average 7.5 mpg. The single most contributing factor to mpg is speed, like Sammy Hagar proclaimed, I can't drive 55 but I did compromise at 65, down from 75. While I do accept the fact that ultimately it takes what it takes to move our rigs down the road, driver discipline is the single most contributing factor in our cost per mile to operate our vehicles.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Amen to that. My smaller engine (than billyt's) runs around 550°F at cruise, ~3 psi boost.

I'd add to billyt's advice that the boost gauge is also a good indicator, as boost will rise faster than EGT (but only slightly faster).

Comparing boost, EGT, and coolant temp - when they get out of their usual harmony - can indicate tme to do something, like change air filter or clean the radiator.

One device can definitely increase your fuel economy: The right foot.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
10-4 on that Rusty!

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.