Forums    Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics    92 30 foot brakaway Dash schematics
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

92 30 foot brakaway Dash schematics
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/11
Picture of Scott and Debbie
posted
Hi, Going thru the paperwork on our new purchase.
Don't see the schematic of the dash and acc. mounted to the dash. Does anyone that has a simlar coach have one I could copy. just trying to get stocked up. This coach has been sitting and it maybe needed. Speedo worked the whole way up from fla. But I got my fat fingers in the dash and on a ride last week it started a jumpin. Debbie and I are coming to the DCmtg maybe I'll find out what else I'm missing.
Scott

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Jumping speedometers seem to be common, It probably is something related to the components that VDO used. Mine did this for about 20K miles, recently it has been stable with no hint of jumping.

I did notice that after a long trip (when it was jumping) it would settle down and then if I let her sit for awhile, it would start the jumping again.

I have talked with several VDO repair shops and no one wanted to tackle the job claiming parts were not available. Probably trying to sell a new one.

I don't have a schematic for the dash either, would be nice to have.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have gotten this today. Drove 20. min rock steady. The things I did.
1)I cleaned the plug at the speed transmitter.
2) found a broken wire and repaired to a inline fuse in the red wire to the cruise at the disconnect for the speed sensors.
3)repositioned the ground wire that was connected to the one side of the speedo dash clamp. this allowed me to loosen the speedo clamp.
I believe I was tighting the speedo clamp and distorted the internals in the speedo.
I believe the clamp was the one that did the trick. I was worried about the ground for the lights and caused another problem.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The usual cause of jumping cable driven speedometers is a cable that spins unevenly. Often it can be cured by lubricating the cable, usually by replacing the cable. Sometimes the cable housing is corroded, damaged, or subjected to bends that are too sharp, as well.

My cable housing was badly corroded, but replacing it proved impossible without dismantling the firewall & dash. Where the cable went through the firewall, Barth used some kind of sealant that had very nearly hardened. Fortunately, my problem was cured by replacing the cable with a generic cable cut to fit. It came with some kind of a device (I don't remember what) to square the cut end of the cable to fit the square the end of the cable to seat it in the speedo drive.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this one was electronic vdo, three wires in. I think when I tried to get the hoop connector tight against the bezel for the ground. I distored the plastic case for the speedo distorting internals.