Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery hookup
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I was very wrong to detach my battery cables without takeing a picture of the order. Does anyone have a diagram of how I they go? 1990 Barth

Posts: 19 | Location: Boerne texas | Member Since: 09-28-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leslie:
I was very wrong to detach my battery cables without takeing a picture of the order. Does anyone have a diagram of how I they go? 1990 Barth

My bet is some one here has what you need but they will need the model and engine type/

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
If you only have two cables to connect the red one goes on the post market with a + and will be slightly larger than the - post. The black cable will go on the - post which is slightly smaller. If you are hooking up two or more batteries the red cable will always connect to positive posts and likewise the black always to the black. If you are unsure of the color because of dirt or fading you can follow the cable to see where it goes to. Positive will go to the starter and negative will ground to the body.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Using an ohmmeter one cable, the negative cable, should show continuity between the cable and the chassis, the positive should show open. To double check that cable check between cable end and starter solenoid's large cable.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
What if they are talking about the house batteries with an aux starter circuit or they have multiple starting batteries. I would think if only 2 cables they would have figured it out.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
There are so many variations in battery systems. Most have dual systems, one for starting, one for the coach. I do not know how many batteries you have, how many for starting, how many for the coach, or where they are located in the coach. A general answer is the best I can do.

My Regal had one battery for starting and 2 batteries for the coach. The ground cables all ran to a large rotary disconnect switch.

The positive cables ran parallel to a large relay mounted on the frame, then one went to the starter lug. The other went to coach load center. The relay was used to tie the two together for the "AUX START" function.

There are several other power feeds for the chassis circuits which tie into the starter or alternator terminals. There are more taps from the coach batteries as well.

If the coach has a generator, there will be more cables tied to that for starting, usually to the coach battery set.

If you trace the positive battery leads back, you may be able to see where they go.

Good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post