Tools
Reply To This Topic

Batch of Barth Brochures
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted
I found this in eBay this morning. An eBay store with lots of Barth brochures. I hope the link works OK.
eBay search results

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Also Jack; a side aisle, is a Ford/Oshkosh gas pusher back on epay, advertised as a Breakaway??
If this one is on a Spartan chassis maybe it is a Breakaway, with a gas engine!!
Looks just like the one we inspected in Quakertown Pa. a few years ago, except that one was definitely 34' long.
Bought sales lit from Walter Miller in the 80s for my Sunbeam Tiger, can't believe he's still around.
Thanks for the link.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
This is the same coach that was discussed last year. The Data Tag is 8810-3569-34RGO-B2. Lots of comments here. Besides being advertised as a Breakaway it has also shrunk 4 feet and is now only 30 feet long.

Looks like the price went up from $6,500 last year to $15,000 this year. I better recheck the value of mine.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I sent the seller an email suggesting that he change the description to 34' Regency. In looking at the pics, I noticed a nice house in the background. I also asked him what things he had done to the Barth since he owned it. I question his comment about 'don't have time to enjoy it'. He's probably discovered that this is a black hole. Having said that, at $5000 is this a good buy for someone who had the money and expertise to drop a Duramax in it? Particularly for Jack, would you have bought it for $5000? There was one picture where it looked like the aluminum panels were pealing off plywood? Or should we just wait for something decent to come along that doesn't require a ton of work to make it right?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I sent the seller an email suggesting that he change the description to 34' Regency.
It is not a Regency. It is a 34' Regal.

The 34 RGO, from what we can tell, stands for

34 foot
R Rear Engine or Regal
G Gasoline
O Oshkosh Chassis

We have a 34 foot Regency that is RDS

R Rear Engine or Regency
D Diesel
S Spartan Chassis

And another 34 foot that is

R Rear Engine or Regency
D Diesel
G Gillig Chassis

Furthermore, the Breakaway Model was not sold in 1988 or 89

It looks like in 1991 they dropped the whole Gas/Diesel designation. We've discussed this in the past, at length, somewhere in the data tag project.

If for some reason this is a Regency, (and it's not) it would be the first time we've seen a gasoline powered or Oshkosh Chassis Regency that Barth made.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'll send him an email to that effect. But when I drove this thing several years ago, I recall looking at the build info and thinking that it was called a Regency. Of course, at my age, who knows what I saw 5 years ago. Aside from the data tag info, how can one tell a Regal from a Regency? Trim lever? I know that there are several things in my 85 Regal that are Regency items because on the build sheet it refers to them like 'Regency style shower', and 'Regency Style paint', or 'Built in hood like Regency'. I guess if we actually saw the 'Work Order' we would know because it would say in bold print at the top, "REGENCY" or "REGAL". Think I'll ask the guy if he has the original work order.
PS I've emailed Ed Foley, the owner, and asked him if he had any documentation about Regency vs Regal. He also has told me about what he has done since owning the coach, and basically it has been tune ups, oil changes, new batteries, rebuilt shower door, but no mention of stuff like tires and brakes. Maybe someone else at least made it road worthy.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've had several emails from the owner, Ed Foley, and he seems like he wants to do the right thing. He is looking through 2 books to see what he can find, but so far has only find the layout with the 34-RGO-B2, which we believe is a Regal. If I was in New Jersey, I'd go over there to see what things have been done to make this Barth sale able.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had several emails from the owner, Ed Foley, and he seems like he wants to do the right thing.
I'm sure he wants to do the right thing. He did manage to change the header from Breakaway to Regency quick enough. Maybe he'll change it again... we'll see.

Q). What made him think that this was a Breakaway when he first listed it anyway?

screenshot saved for discussion

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

Q). What made him think that this was a Breakaway when he first listed it anyway?

It is not uncommon for folks to think that a rear engine Regal is a Breakaway. Barth didn't make things very clear, either, so there is a lot of room for naming your own model.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Confusion city......it says Regal (which I think is correct), yet, in at least three other places including the description the word REGENCY appears....Hopefully whoever looks at it also knows about this site and knows it is a REGAL, not a REGENCY Roll Eyes
Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The owner has cleaned up his Ebay ad. No reference to Regency (or Regal for that matter). He also took out the 19000# weight. I had told his what the chassis GVWR was. I think this guy is trying to do the right thing. However with a $15000 starting price I doubt he'll get much action. Bill, do we need to move this post to the Barth sitings forum?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
When I saw this coach about a year ago I was surprised to see the rated weight as about 18000# which is about the same as my 32' Deere chassis. Mine has 19.5" tires, and this coach has 22" tires.
The vin look up has a completely different rating.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That weight is odd - my 28' Breakaway has a GVW of 16K; the 30's, ~18K, and the 32/33', ~20K. If 18K is right, there must not be much payload...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
When we looked at this last year, someone, I think Nick, looked up the GVWR for the Vin # and it was in the 33000# category, listed as an Oskosh Class 8.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
When we looked at this last year, someone, I think Nick, looked up the GVWR for the Vin # and it was in the 33000# category, listed as an Oskosh Class 8.
Refresher Link

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis