Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing refrigerator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing refrigerator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Having worked for Both Norcold and Dometic, I truthfully have never heard of an absorption refrigerator causing a RV fire.

I had a 86 Winnie prior to Nose, it had a Dometic 3-way 8 cubic foot unit that went bad, cooling unit quit working. I bought a Sears apartment fridge the same size as the Dometic, for $120, ran it before I went on a trip and off the generator every few hours while on the road, I also just put ice in it on occasion, a bit of pain but it was ok, had to watch the melt water.

I was going to do the same thing when the unit in Nose quit, but SteveVW came to my rescue with a better alternative for my use, absorption unit.

Most of the real high end RV's today use a standard 120 volt house unit I think just because of the size, the side by side being popular.

The maximum BTU's I ever tested was only 200 from an absorption unit. One that gets a lot of use "door open" has a bit of trouble keeping ice cream hard and of course does not make much ice. The test they must pass is 40F degrees inside in a 90F exterior environment and they just barely will pass that. I don't remember what the freezer spec was, but not much below 32F.

So a person really has to determine if they have adequate power or desire to run a 120 volt unit. Then that may be the best option.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
How long are you really off the grid? Just 24 hrs, an overnight or maybe 3-4 days? Somewhere where you cannot run the generator an hour or 2 to recharge during daytime? If you use A/C you run genny anyway.
As for deer camp or off grid living propane makes sense, for the RV it is your choice.
Ours seems to be colder on 110 than the propane.

Always check for dirt daubers, they block anything up. Ladybugs fill up everything here too to hibernate. Mice and rats - do not get me started on them (they chewed a fuel line in the toyhauler last year).

BTW Dometic had a big recall a few years back, causing fires on propane they said.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/...t/recall-information

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good points. As you said, bugs, dirt, acorns, leaves will cause problems. Must be cleaned regularly!

Yep, the newer Dometics have problems. Violence
Do the research, buy a good one.

If I am all day on the road, pull over to dry camp, then drive all the next day, I would need to run the genny. The silent LP frig works great... My dash AC works so I don't run the genny much.

Cooling capacity is less with LP. Longer recovery times, slow to make ice. I have a separate small ice maker...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If the second hand Fisher & Paykel doesn't work out, there is a HAIER Model # HRQ16N3BGS looks like a good value $1100 "Special Buy" at Home Depot.
It is counter depth and does not have ice/water feature.
I DO NOT want to deal with ice/water in the frig. In fact, the reviews of the Samsung units report MANY problems with the cooling fins inside getting iced up, along with associate flooding (irrespective of any water line and intentional ice maker).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I replaced the cooling unit on our '92 Dometic a number of years ago. Easy Job. Take off the doors and lay it on its face. Need to get some wires out of the way. The just unscrew and replace.

In our Newell we had an Amana household refrigerator. Loved it when plugged in. Hated it unplugged and we do a lot of unplugged time. Had 12 T105s that would go dead in a 1.5 days.

I will not even consider a RV with a household refer. Only the new class A MHs has household refer. The bulk of the industry still uses Norcold or Dometic dual units. We have a 3 way which is working.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input, Gary.
I was under the impression that most new high end motor coaches are all-electric. Tony (the shop) and I agreed that it would be foolish to spend about $500 plus labor to put an "amish" cooling unit on the twenty year old box. I've watched YT videos of it being done. The control board, seals etc. are all vintage. The new cooling unit doesn't change that reality.
The old box must be pulled out to do it, at which point it makes more sense to replace it.

A new RV 2 way side by side, about the same capacity, is more than $2,500. It won't fit the existing opening. So, cabinet mods are necessary the go that route, the same as the residential 110V route. The Fisher & Paykel bottom freezer model (w/o ice or water) Is about $1,900+tax new. I paid 23% of that for a second hand one in very good condition.

So far, I have completely disconnected and dislodged the Dometic. Only friction and gravity are holding it place. Before my appt at Tony's Y-Not, I will remove the screen door and six bolts holding the copilot seat onto its power base. I'll also remove the free-standing recliner on the curb side. Then there should be just enough room to extract the 24" deep Dometic and lift in the 24" deep Fisher & Paykel.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
According to the specs the Fisher & Paykel draws 10 amp AC when running. That is over 100 amp DC, probably 110 amp.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
It is a large load but my experience on the boat is judicious use of the fridge (under counter so it is much smaller) results in about a 30% duty cycle. My battery banks (4 deep cycle) have not been challenged and the inverter quits outputting around 11.5 VDC. Back-up is the genny and if the fridge is being opened frequently cooking is happening and the genny is running. FWIW.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
draws 10 amp AC when running

I suspect that is during defrost.
The one I bought is like the model RF170B, which is Energy Star Certified. I intend to run it from shore power, almost exclusively.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
quote:
draws 10 amp AC when running

I suspect that is during defrost.
The one I bought is like the model RF170B, which is Energy Star Certified. I intend to run it from shore power, almost exclusively.

Most hi-end refrigerators, these days are like a heat pump, evaporator and condenser are switched by an internal valve, both defrost and cool use about the same power. Unlike an electric heater of old. 10 amps does not seem excessive to me, depends on the compressor, fans and lights. Also shore power can be 108 to 120 volts.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Shore power can be all sorts of variables. So, I use a Progressive Dynamics filter (locked to the box ;^}