Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine fan not turning on
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine fan not turning on
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah it has to be the worst engineered system I have ever seen (and I drive and do all my own work on British vehicles) No way to take the shroud out. No way to take the fan clutch out so I ground away an 1/8 of an inch of the shoud so it would come out. Guess I'll change the belts while I have it out but here is a question on that. Seems I have 2 belt notches on my AC compressor and at least one that lines up with both coming off the water pump. Should I have two belts on the ac compressor?

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
belt routing

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah mine is similar but not so exact. The air pump is routed to the power steering on top of everything expect the alt belt. Had a really tough time figuring out how to tighten the first belt to the power steering pump. Doesn't seem to be anyway to get a pry bar on the thing so I used a jack and a black iron pipe to push up from the bottom then went in and tightened. If anything it is a bit too tight but that should change quick after the first drive.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that the A.I.R. is still on your RV most of us have tossed them years ago, you will get a gas mileage improvement, you do have to plug the manifold holes with something.

My GN 454 has a half inch square hole on the power steering adjustment bracket to tighten the belt. The same hole is on the A/C bracket but not the alternator. When I changed my power steering pump, I cussed the P30 engineers also. My A/C compressor only has one drive belt groove, but I have the dash unit and if I remember yours is ducted.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I am not an American car guy so air pumps are foreign to me so I would want to remove 'em without knowing what they do and why they do it. Only engine I have that has one is a 5.0 block I'll eventually put into my TVR and it won't get an air pump. There isn't any hole for my ps pump or the ac (my ac actually has a screw to tension it). I have a hole for my alternator but you can't really pry on it. Got the belts on. Only two were the correct size listed. The other two were different.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The A.I.R. (Air Injection Reaction) pumps were a crude attempt to reduce emissions back when "the solution to pollution is dilution."

Excess air was pumped into the exhaust stream in an attempt to allow unburned fuel (hydrocarbon pollution) to combine with the air in the hot exhaust to finish combustion (maybe) and also dilute the exhaust (for sure) for lower PPM of emissions. Since the tests were based on parts per million, not grams per mile, the diluted exhaust appeared "cleaner." head bang

They were basically a useless trick to get around EPA tests of the day. No reason to use them now. Compared to modern fuel injection and catalytic convertors they are a joke.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were basically a useless trick to get around EPA tests of the day. No reason to use them now. Compared to modern fuel injection and catalytic convertors they are a joke.

I so agree with the Stever!!! But I am a bad guy, no catalytic converted or TBI. Maybe a TBI someday.

In that half inch square on the alternator, use an extension on a rachet. Might need a U-joint also and a beer. lol

It is amazing the EPA did not catch on to what the car manufacturers were doing with that A.I.R pump, guess that's what happens when politicians hire their friends.

Next time we meet in person, I will bring my Miata and we will tune it up. lol

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. What would I need to block off the exhaust with? Does Summit or Jegs sell a "kit" for racing only? My guess is it is all there and functioning as it was a Cali gal for much of its life. No cat on mine either as it has the Banks exhaust system. Do you need a air pump delete pulley for the Alt belt or can you just get a belt that goes around the crank, the water pump and the alt. What would happen if I just unhooked the hose to the top air pump for now? Gotta get it all buttoned up as I have a bit of single track riding to do this weekend on my Tiger.

Oh and Duane, I don't tune chick cars but i can put you in touch with Flying Miatas and you can drop a LS1 in that thing. Smiler

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob, a Miata is now known as multi-gender machine!!

Just pulling the belt off the A.I.R. is not a good idea, There is to my knowledge no plug to fit in and fill that manifold thread, so find a short, maybe half inch long bolt that almost fits, make it a tight fit and will not thread all the way in, tighten it a bit, then give the head a sharp rap or two to drive it in a bit further, make sure its tight.

Sounds a bit crude but mine is still holding after I do not know how many years, did the same thing on my old SOB years ago.

After removing the A.I.R. I found the power steering belt and the one for the alternator were the same size. The pulleys on my A/C belt were different, bigger on the crankshaft and all connected to the water pump pulley with different belt speeds if you use the normal belt drive.

So I had to get a belt to fit to the A/C from the power steering hub only, it has two grooves. Then the alternator goes to the water pump and crankshaft pulleys.
If your crankshaft pulley grooves are all the same diameter you will not have this problem

P30 chassis
350 engine