Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Auxiliary gas tank removal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Auxiliary gas tank removal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I'm finally going to drop the auxiliary gas tank on my 85 28' Regal to replace filler and vent hoses since they leak when the tank is full. This is an aluminum tank, installed by Barth when the unit was built. It has a drain plug on the bottom and that is where my question begins. I originally thought it was a Allen size of some kind, but now that I'm into it, I'm not sure. First of all, it looks like the plug is made out of lead. Honest to gosh, I mean it's really soft and it's been butchered up a bit and now I'm wondering if it's a Torx size of some sort. Even if it is, how in the heck do you get something made out of lead, or some kind of soft metal, to come out even if you can figure out the size and configuration to begin with? I'm afraid if I put any pressure on it, I'll just wallow it out to a round hole. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't leak, I would leave well enough alone. Seemingly simple things can go wrong in very complex ways.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with bill h - leave well enough alone. Use all the fuel you can out of the tank, or siphon it, then remove it. I use a motorcycle jack padded with foam to remove tanks, transmissions, and the generator on my Breakaway.

Note, you may need the special tool to disconnect the fuel line.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you mentioned a special tool for the fuel line. Without taking the tank down, all I can see is two rubber fuel lines coming from the tank to the gizmo that switches fuel supply from front to rear. I can remove those at the gizmo location since they are attached with metal clamps only, but what do you think I'll see when I gently drop the fuel tank down? I'm going to use a floor jack and a piece of plywood with some padding between it and the tank. Also, I'll remove the fuel filler hose and the overflow hose at the tank and then after I get the tank out, see where the other end of the fuel filler hose is attached. Think this is a plan?
Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Whenever I drop a tank, I take it all the way out and empty it completely, then rinse it again with a little clean gas. Sometimes it is scary what is in there.

It would also be a good idea to replace the intake sock filter and the sending unit gasket. And really clean the fuel level elec terminals. Cut an inch or so off the wires and solder new lugs on the wire. It is a little extra trouble, but could avoid aggravation later, and now is when it is easiest.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you have standard hose clamps, you'll not have the quick-disconnect connectors they may have started using them in later model years.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post