Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    quadrajet carb
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

quadrajet carb
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
I installed mine with a momentary switch for starting. During run it is held in with the oil pressure switch.
Hooked up thru a 5 pole relay correct? Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Speaking of; for a galvanic isolator I used a 12VDC energized DPDT 15amp relay and run both neutral and hot to supply and switched sides. I think the Radio Shack bill was under $20 versus closer to $100 for the galvanic isolator.
ccc doesn't always mean cheap cheap cheap but sometimes Wink

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
On mine, I used my OEM "aux start circuit" as a power source for bypassing the oil pressure switches. This serves several functions:

1. The beauty of the original Barth instrument panel is not sullied by a Chinese switch.

2. The expense of a Chinese switch is avoided.

2. The doubtful reliability of a Chinese switch is avoided.

4. The complexity and expense of a relay is avoided

5. The doubtful reliability of a Chinese relay is avoided.

6. It is a decent anti-theft measure. The thief gets only as far as the fuel in the float bowl will take him.

7. If the oil pressure switch fails (and they do Frowner ) it easier to drive with the aux start switch energized than holding a button.

I should add that I replaced the OEM momentary on switch with an ON OFF MOM switch long ago after an alternator failure forced me to drive holding in the aux start switch to allow driving while the genset charged the chassis battery.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brady and Hilary
posted Hide Post
I'm stuck in Franklin, KY now. Same old same old. I almost caused an accident on I65 because I was only doing 45mph up a hill.

I've looked at a couple other forums about other vehicles just for kicks, not that the advice I'm getting here isn't good. I want to run some ideas past you though.

I'm leaning towards vapor lock. Now I tried driving with the gas cap off. I tried the clothes pins and foil to some degree all to no avail. What if I were just to re-route the fuel line coming out of the pump? Move it further from the engine? Possibly sleeve it with something as well like billh suggested. Or could I install another filter between the pump and carb with a return outlet on it and tie that into the existing return line?

I've got yet another mechanic looking at it now. He adjusted the timing slightly and moved a hot wire that might have been grounding out on the Magnetic Switch(I didn't know what it was either until I read that other thread). I took it for a drive and it still did the same old BS so I took it back.

1986 Regal 25ft.
454 Chevy

Posts: 33 | Location: The Great American West | Member Since: 04-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
If it's vapor lock there are several possible remedies/tests.

1) Put a space plate under the carb to raise it off the manifold
2) Shield any incoming fuel lines from heat
3) A cool can filled with ice to test the theory
4) A cold air intake, like in NASCAR for the brakes directed at the carb fuel intake area

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
4) A cold air intake, like in NASCAR for the brakes directed at the carb fuel intake area

This is one of the things I'm doing to totally eliminate the VL. Wrapping and shielding has gotten rid of 90 0/0 of it but I still get lttle burps when I let it idle too long then get on the throttle.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you wrap it with?

Also, a different mechanic told me that I should just plug the return line at the pump. It was just stealing needed pressure. ???

1986 Regal 25ft.
454 Chevy

Posts: 33 | Location: The Great American West | Member Since: 04-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
B&H!
Triage: I don't know what your concerns are for time and money, but there generally isn't enough of either for me.

I am guessing the various mechanics you've gone to haven't each had enough time to perform a triage of the situation.

They've each done the best job possible given their hunch and how they interpret what you've told them.

But you're getting a bit further down the road, not solving all of the problems, but you might be having some solved.

I would tend to think that if I didn't get vapor lock when running through Arizona and Nevada at 120F (with a rig similar to yours), in conditions that killed my isolator and fridge electrics, that vapor lock is not an issue in your case. I have headers which add more heat to my engine compartment.

I do think that the weak spot in the design after 20 years of operation are found in the distributor, with the coil, HEI module, capacitor, and so forth. I am basing this on my experience with HEI module failures in a 76 Camaro, a 77 Camaro, a 77 Cutlass, an 82 Delta 88, an 84 C10, a 78 C60, and, yes, twice, in my Barth. Fortunately, one failure was in the parking lot of my favorite mechanic, and the other was in my driveway.

From a triage perspective, $90 with Summit Racing will get you a 'blueprinted' distributor with all new components. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850001R

At this point, you don't care about the specific isolation of the failure, and an R&R of that, you just want to get rolling reliably.

This isn't to say though that this is the answer, you might still have a fuel problem. If the rubber lines on the top of the fuel tank connecting the steel lines are cracked, you might not get gasoline leaking out, but air leaking in, when running, in conditions of higher fuel demand. I took my tank off to look at what those hoses looked like, and they were not rubber anymore. They were a cracked and brittle solid.

The easy test of this is to supply your fuel pump via a hose running to a gas can. I'm not going to say this is safe, but if you do this in a parking lot, with the transmission in park and your foot on the gas for an hour, keeping the RPMs up at 3000. If this shows that you have no trouble, then it is clear that your ignition stuff is OK, and the fuel delivery is the problem.

Triage: do the cheap and easy things first to rule in or rule out the problems.

Good Luck!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mechanic called. He said he put a new ignition module on. It didn't fix the problem so he took it back off. He replaced vacuum lines. That didn't fix it. He doesn't think that's vapor lock either because he choked it when it was losing power and it just stalled. He's going to put a new carb on and see if that works. He said he'll take it back off if that doesn't work. Maybe he's just soaking me for some labor, but I don't have a lot of other options right now.

1986 Regal 25ft.
454 Chevy

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I went to Summit and looked at all their stuff but couldn't find the tape I used. I know it came fron Summit but I don't know what it was called. It was about 1" wide, very sticky self adhesive, and not cheap. As far as plugging the return at the pump, WHATTHE?? He's about as much of a mechanic as I am a gynechologist, and I can't even spell it!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Did anyone think that there might be an EGR valve hanging open. I had an Astro van that sporadically went into spasms, wouldn't shift right, stalled at low idle. The EGR valve had built up carbon and when it hung it created a massive vacuum leak. Cleaned it and it worked great.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Thermo Tec tape/heat shield is probably the stuff Danny used. They also carry a sleeve or tubing heat shield that could easily slide over the gas line to insulate it without relying on the sticky backing. See web address
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14005/

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Did anyone ever check fuel pressure while the coach was stalling? If it has adequate pressure, you do not have a vapor lock issue.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.