Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Nitrogen in Tires?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Nitrogen in Tires?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen claims that tires hold their pressure longer with nitrogen. (I would like to see proof of this, ie side by side with two identical wheels and tires, one with air one with nitrogen)
I will follow up on this. The front tires have nitrogen. The rear tires have air from my shop compressor. No additional dryer is on the compressor. I do drain plenty of water out of the tank though.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Report This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88: I think there are two types of available Nitrogen, dry as used to purge A/C systems and water pumped, more readily available. Wonder what you've got in your tires?

I think, emphasis on think,, common compressed air gasses are obtained via cryogenic distillation which probably requires dried air at input.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Report This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Tim I believe you are correct. With the exception of compressed air itself, all the pure gases are obtained by distillation. The process requires and produces pure dry gases.

These are the same processes the petroleum guys use to separate the fractions in natural gas, ie methane, ethane, propane, butane etc. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Report This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My age is showing, see class 1 water pumped nitrogen on this site! Class 2 is not a good one for tire inflation. Before one can extract nitrogen from air by cryogenics it has to be compressed!!!

https://navyaviation.tpub.com/14329/Nitrogen-
436.html

Logic tells each point is moot, the amount of gas one would have to pass through seems to me would be astronomical to contain enough oil or water after the extraction process to cause any harm. The powers that be in the refrigeration industry always wanted to use oil pumped nitrogen, it was just the thing to do, never really wondered why. Perhaps it was because most of them use a central system and continuous refilling may cause accumulation.

Funny though, oil in an absorption system is a total disaster!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You boys members have gone to high tech for my simple mind. I am doing plain hands on comparison that Steve VW suggested. Results will follow.
Here is a little write up from Tire Rack that is neither for nor against nitrogen in tires.

...Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them...

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Duh… air is 78% nitrogen.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is the other 22% that is important. hmm Like the 22% fat in a hamburger, Click or do we buy ground round with only 10% fat? Wink
Tooling Along It is in there and I will report back in the future. Tooling Along

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Nothing like one in a row research to prove an hypothesis!

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Report This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Maybe it is the other 22% that is important. hmm Like the 22% fat in a hamburger, Click or do we buy ground round with only 10% fat? Wink
Tooling Along It is in there and I will report back in the future. Tooling Along

"After every number they'd pass the hat, no ones getting fat cept Mama Cass"!!!!! M and P always has an answer!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
"All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray"

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking about putting helium in my tires. Lighten the load and get better handling and fuel mileage. Would also reduce your taxes as some states base their tax on GVW.

I believe this is a million dollar idea!

I’d be willing to sell franchises to those so inclined to get in on the ground floor of a new venture.

Get you request in early as the demand is high and quantities are limited.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Report This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
OK, enough is enough!!! The optimum fill gas is methane!! The green folks want to stop us from eating beef so there are fewer cows passing gas into the atmosphere lets put plastic bags on their butts and capture any passing gas. Then we can enjoy a hamburger without guilt. Everyone can capture their own expulsions, compress them and have free gas to fill their tires, perhaps ones dogs, cats and spouse would also contribute. Granted methane is a heavy gas and will not float your Barth, but you would be helping keep the planet green!

Please note how the crude words for passing gas and behinds was avoided!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
All this is making me feel green... Deadhorse

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison