Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator will not start.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator will not start.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have an Onan 15,000 Watt generator. When I first bought the motorhome a few months ago it started but ran very rough. I changed the plugs, wires, dist cap. etc. When I tried to turn the generator over it wouldnt start. I knew thw 2 aug batteries were old, so I just replaced them with 2 new golf cart batteries. When I first tried to start the generator after the battery change, it sounded like it didnt have enough power to turn the engine over. Now it just clicks like a dead battery. The interior lights are also dim. I checked the wiring to the batteries, but dont see any problems. Does anyone have any ideas? Fuses I am missing? Switches? Please help.
Oh, the clock on the panel went black too, like the battery is dead, and the generator switch light stays unlight when I press the generator switch.

[This message has been edited by mgroely (edited March 12, 2003).]

Posts: 10 | Member Since: 10-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Check your ground wire if your sure that the batteries are good. Find where the ground wire attaches-mine is behind the battery box with a bolt to the frame. Remove the bolt, buff off any corrosion or rust, apply some dielectric grease to the cable end and bolt, and put it back together. Check your voltage then, if your batteries are good-everything should light. Good luck, Ed

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will give it a try.

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I'll ask the simple question, have you wired the batteries in series or parallel? Since you switched from 12 volt batteries to 6 volt, did you remember to change the wiring arrangement of the batteries in order to accommodate the voltage change?

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike you were right!!!