Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Broken rear window
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Broken rear window
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
I seem to have a broken rear window today. What are the options to order a new one? Or should I just put plexi in. The window is 60 3/4 by 22 wonder what a new window would cost?

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We have a local glass guy who replaced a 4'+ x 20" window above cab of class c we a few years ago. I wanted to do it right since it is that front window that takes such a beating in those class C's. It was the really good tempered smoke tinted glass. I think it cost around $450 just for the glass. We installed it ourselves which saved $100 bucks.

I would not use plexiglass. Call your local glass guys & they will give you a price.

I want to someday have all my current windows removed & reinstalled with new butyl & any repairs that need to be done. The glass guy said he would do each window for around $250 each but I would need to leave rv with him & he would get to the windows between other jobs. I may someday do them all. I will start with the windows in front next to driver & passenger seats first. No new glass just refurb old housings. Mostly labor.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I got a shock today. Called every glass shop in my area and was told the glass had to be dot approved safety glass and they could not do that.
So called every RV shop and was told I would need to buy a brand new window and I would be looking at 3 months because the window would have to be made to order.
Now I am thinking I should reframe the back for a different size window that is a newer model that can be replaced when the neighbors throw a party next year.
I really do think it would not be that hard to make it look good since it's not corrugated but flat sheet.
I am still looking and considering options.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Put a Polycarbonate rear window in nose 4 years ago, did the job myself, still looks and works fine. Got the poly from my friends at Farm and Fleet. Had a glass guy replace a side window on a SOB that I broke using polycarbonate too.

The PO had taken the glass out on Nose and put a house window A/C in the opening, they used wood to fill the gaps!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
After an unfortunate incident with the snowblower, I had a broken rear window on the Regal a few years back. I replaced with polycarbonate. Stronger and less likely to shatter than the tempered glass. Works well.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I picked up a 4x8 sheet of Makrolon ( made by bayer I think ) I use it alot at work to make guards and game control panel covers. I think it will work ok. I got 1/8 inch, the next size up they had was 1/2 inch and that would have stuck out past the frame edge but I will post picks when I get it done this weekend.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul And Jaime:
Thanks guys. I picked up a 4x8 sheet of Makrolon ( made by bayer I think ) I use it alot at work to make guards and game control panel covers. I think it will work ok. I got 1/8 inch, the next size up they had was 1/2 inch and that would have stuck out past the frame edge but I will post picks when I get it done this weekend.

I used 1/4 inch, 1/8 might flex a bit. but should be ok,, cuts with a table, sabre, or even a hand saw. Sand off any saw blade marks on the edge. You have enough for double thickness, wonder how that would work??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul And Jaime:

I used 1/4 inch, 1/8 might flex a bit. but should be ok,, cuts with a table, sabre, or even a hand saw. Sand off any saw blade marks on the edge. You have enough for double thickness, wonder how that would work??

Good Question wonder how that would look ?

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Good Question wonder how that would look ?
You have enough to try a small sample don't you? Perhaps in a vacuum bag and press with a wallpaper seam roller. Might need put saran on the outside surfaces to protect from drooling excess.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well after much debate with my remodel site boss ( my wife Jaime ) We decided ( by we I mean she ) to order the glass from one day glass. We ordered ( by we I mean me in case it comes and its the wrong size ) 5/32 tempered glass the measurement was Width: 59 1/8" Height: 20 5/8" Radius: 6".

I figure I can tint the glass with a good quality tint and it will be very similar to laminated glass, just in case we are laying in bed and someone decides to throw a rock or baseball or a small calf through our window. Price was 149.00 with free shipping. Due to COVID One Day Glass now take 21 days to ship and another 10 days to be delivered ( estimate ) I guess there is a one in both of those numbers so.....
My wife says the one in the name means you will get it one day. They just don't tell you which day. Razzer

posted Hide Post
What would you guys suggest on mounting new glass back in frame? The rim around the frame where the glass sits looks to be about 1/4 inch. I know butyl tape seems to be the go to but was just curious if there is a better product in a tube. Oh and my rear window frame has no weep holes which I thought was strange. I thought of using pro flex or something similar but I wanted the experts to weigh in. I have never done an rv window before. I am going to use the butyl tape when I remount the window back into the RV.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Not sure it is the right thing, but I used tape around a wood shim inside, only tape outside. Thickness of the shim made a nice tight fit. Tapped it snuggly in place. But my window was plastic.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
For some reason I am having trouble visualizing the shim part.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My plastic was thinner than the glass so there was a bit of a gap between frame and plastic even with the tape so I put the tape around a thin wood shim to make a tight fit to the frame and compress the tape a bit to prevent a leak.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
AHHHHH, I get it.