Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electric anomaly at the Allegan County Fairgrounds
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electric anomaly at the Allegan County Fairgrounds
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
As long as your current charging system on the Cat engine is checked out OK, should be no problem replacing the 8D batteries. Your Cat engine requires a much higher cranking current than us with the ity bity Cummins engines.

I would look into and separate charging system to charge an maintain the AGM system while parked if you are going to continue using AGM batteries for house batteries.

1 comment, AGM batteries do require that you keep them on a float charge (should be designed for AGM batteries) if it will be a long time between usage.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would look into and separate charging system to charge an maintain the AGM system while parked if you are going to continue using AGM batteries for house batteries.

Here from the previous page is what charges the AGM when plugged into shore. It is also charging when the generator is on. Power source, is a battery charger and power supply that uses 110 house current to put out 12 volts. I have checked daily during this past winter. It does maintain 13.2 volts when on and connected to the house batteries.

When I replace the engine batteries, I am not so sure the AGM has enough current to turn over the big CAT. I am considering keeping the engine batteries the standard lead acid.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our Newell had two 8D engine batteries and 6 8Ds used for house batteries. Replaced the house 8Ds with 12 T-105s. Later on replaced the 8D engine batteries with two group 31s. Never had a problem starting the 8V92 on the group 31s, but never had it in cold weather.

The compartment for the engine two 8Ds had room for 3 group 31s. Original plans were to use 3 batteries but never needed the third one.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regard to starter batteries:

I also had 2 - 8D Batteries.

When it was time to replace, I only went with one.

This starts my Regency just fine.

It does not like the real cold weather for starting (below 20 degrees in MN).

However, if I plug-in the engine heater for a couple hours, it starts-right-up.

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

However, it is generally not advisable to charge AGM batteries and Wet cell batteries tied together. The charging profile for AGM batteries is quite different than wet cell batteries. Wet cell batteries would probably be OK but AGM batteries would not have ideal charging and could be damaged or shortened life.

Thank you to all the contributing members for helping to solve the electrical battery problem.

In my case I figure the battery mix (advanced glass mat- house and lead acid- engine) along with two charging inputs toasted the lead acid batteries. Thankfully not the AGM batteries which cost over twice as much. Just as a safety precaution I will unplug the house battery charger on long trips while running the generator that charges the house batteries. A solenoid switch near the generator could also turn off the battery isolator. This switch would separate the two battery banks completely.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ~Mac~:
In regard to starter batteries:

I also had 2 - 8D Batteries.

When it was time to replace, I only went with one.

I did replace my both of my 8D (engine) batteries with Crown Batteries. The one that was resurrected by the Epsom Salts trick posted here was used by itself to start the 3208 Caterpillar. Just thought I would mention since you said you only have one. I am still using two 8D batteries in my coach for the engine starting.

posted Hide Post
I have a power problem. Last week 80% of my #4 and all of my #2 battery cables fried. I replaced the #4 to the motor and when I started the engine the gauge started jumping around. I think it is the voltage regulator. Can I get some input and see what you think.

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon City, Oregon | Member Since: 08-25-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow... that must have some serious current, like a dead short. Did the batteries survive?

Since you did not specify I have no idea if you have a gas or diesel coach, boat or aircraft.

Give me a bit more to work with and we might be able to help more.

Most alternators have internal regulators. They also have large internal diodes. If the diodes short the alternator will draw full battery current to ground and cause wiring damage. Usually they remain shorted and cook the batteries to death.

Diodes usually fail when overheated. They may fail shorted or open. Perhaps yours shorted first, then got so hot they went open circuit.

Best I can do with the information I have. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with SteveVW - knowing where these cables originate and terminate might help with armchair diagnosis.

Because there should be a fusible link from the battery to the load, as Steve mentioned, the likel culprit is either a shorted battery cell or a bad diode in the alternator.

There is usually no fusible link between the alternator and the battery.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post