Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front Tire Size
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front Tire Size
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
Curious to the benefit, or if it would be appropriate to consider a wider profile of front tires???

I will be replacing 2 tires and the front tires are the obvious choise under these circumstances.

I am considering previous conversations on the topic of wider front tires and my observation of the tires on cement trucks, cement block transports, some fire apparatus, etc...

Do wider tires provide better handling, stability, steering, etc...

Any and all information or recommendations are welcome.

My current tire size is: 275 / 70 R 22.5

I will need to keep the rear duels for now, as I am not in a financial position to change 6 tires at this time.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the more rubber you can put on the road {within reason) the better off you are. I would not hesitate to put P-metric tires (which have a wider tread, size-for-size) on the front along with straight radials on the rear, as long as all tires were belted radials. There may be some aesthetic difference as the P-metrics are slightly lower in profile.

As I recall, Dave's Regal has wider front wheels carrying a wider-than-standard tire. Such wheels and tires were once available as after-market accessories. They were sold on the basis of improved handling, but I believe the company went out of business.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
How wide are the rims?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
The Ariel Ladder Truck at the fire station I am currently located at runs:

425 / 65 R 22.5 Front x2
315 / 80 R 22.5 Rear x8

This is on a 42 foot chassis with an 81,500 GVW

I also noticed on 2 of their engines, they run Michelins in the front and Goodyears in the rear.

So much for my plight to find the most appropriate manufacturer.

I also noticed a wide mix of Michelins, Goodyears and Bridgestones on the new 40 foot RVs at a large volume dealer in our area.

I guess it's hard to determine "what is the BEST tire"???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Brand seems to be a matter of personal preference. Some of us have been disappointed with Michelins for various reasons. I had a Michelin that self-destructed parked in a storage lot, another that came from the factory with a displaced belt, & I didn't get good warranty service. I replaced that whole set with Bridgestones, but didn't keep the rig long enough to form a lasting impression.

I've heard no complaints about Bridgestones, Goodyears, & Toyos. I use Toyos on all my cars simply because they are Les Schwab's best tires, the company gives good service, & the Northwest & mountain West are covered with Les Schwab stores.

It is reputed that Toyo doesn't recommend its tires for motor homes, though as of last report, truckers thought highly of them.

If I win the lotto, I'll replace all my Barth tires with all-steel Goodyears. If I decide to replace a couple, I'll go For Bridgestone or Toyo, & maybe compare Goodyear prices as well.

Like almost everything in life, there's no perfect alternative. All tires have to meet certain standards. Much depends on personal preference, the depth of your pocketbook, what kind of service you can expect from the seller, & how much advertising you're willing to pay for in the price of the name brands, though generally speaking, you get more tread width and more rubber, the more you spend.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Olroy,

Bigger tires may work on your Regency, however; on my Regency I was unable to to go to the next larger size because of clearance issues. The next size up was a tire that was about 3/4"-1" taller and may have rubbed at the turning extreemes as my wheel wells are fairly close to the original tires.

As far as tires go, I put Goodyear G670 RV tires on the front and Toyo M120's on the rear. I avoided replacing my rears with Michilins, but had to put on a slightly smaller diameter tire because no one other than Michilin makes a R255-80 by 22.5. My Toyos are R255-70 by 22.5. They actually have a slightly higer load capacity, but are about 1/2"-3/4" smaller in diameter.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Bill H...

From the best I can tell, my Alcoa Rims are 9 inches wide.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Went ahead and replaced my 2 front tires with Goodyear G 670 RV in the same size as my current Michelins 275 / 70 R 22.5.

Amazingly enough, the baseball size bulge im my right outside rear duelly finally gave-way, leaving a small, shredded [2" x 2"] area in the side-wall ...the tire itself, however, still maintained it's intergity and did not loose one single pound of air.

As was described by some of you, "changing these tires is not for the faint of heart". I was amazed at the weight of a single tire and the heavy construction ...again, my lack of knowledge or experience with such matters. 450 ft. lbs. torque on the lug-nuts. Was worth every penny not to have to touch any-of-it.

All-in-all, to move one front Michelin to the rear to replace the "bad" tire and to replace the 2 fronts with NEW Goodyears, and have all 3 of them "spun", came to $850.00 [in the event that anyone else here might be in the market for some 22.5 inch tires in the near future].

Went to Pomp's in Savage Dave, and stayed-away-from the Tire Nazi in Chaska.

Thanks for all the information and advice during this project ...I feel much-more informed in the area of tires now.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2