Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air Springs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air Springs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted
Need some advice on replacing the rear air on my 1993 Breakaway,(Gillig chassis). Was hoping to here from Nick Cagle, or anyone else that has tackled this job. Would like to do it today as the weather is great here in East TN and I have two new Firestone air springs in hand. Please call 706-987-0701. Wondering how to pry them out and install the new ones without messing-up the threaded fasteners on top and bottom.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
found very detailed data
http://vicbushfield.com/pdf/RV...Catalog%202009_E.pdf

But the only how-to I can find pertains to the smaller Firestone Ride Rite (which I might put on my Class B because they were standard on later years of Pleasure-Way)

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
What a chore! Finally got the air line off and the 90 degree fitting at the top of the spring with the aid of a mirror. Only had minimal amount of space to get a socket on that last nut. Had to wedge-up all the air lines and hoses that have been routed through the chassis rail that just happens to be directly above that last nut. Going to have to remove the shock absorber just to get the old air spring out. Thanks to all that contacted me. My confidence needed a boost in tackling this job. The $300.00 quote to replace the air springs,(labor only)from a local truck repair facility was quite a motivator when the frustration meter was pegged. I did get your message Kevin, thanks for responding.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Hello Kevin,

I paid $175.00 each for the air springs from Gillig. Will be tackling the second one on Monday. Got the first one in, but have an air leak at the fitting that plumbs into the top of the air spring,(found with soapy water test). Guess I should have went one more turn on the fitting,(did use Teflon tape on threads). About half way through the installation of the spring, I had decided I would let the truck facility do the second one. Have a better attitude about tackling the second one after taking a break this weekend. Something about the satisfaction of doing it myself gets me through some trying situations when turning wrenches.

Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Don't know if $175.00 was a good price or not. They originally quoted $194.00 each for the air spring. I asked for a discount and received one. The local truck repair facility wanted $150.00 to replace one air spring. $300.00 to do two of them. That was labor only as I was supplying the air springs.

Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Just removing and installing the first air bag was a full day. Of course a lot of that was just learning what was needed in tools and figuring out a procedure to follow. Spent a few hours on the blasted air line routed into the top of the spring. One of those situations where you are saying a few choice words about the designers of the system as you access it with a mirror and wrench. By your picture, there apparently is more room to access everything on your rig. I know the second one,(drivers side) will go easier.