Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steering box issues AGAIN
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steering box issues AGAIN
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
My trip to Texas was going well, took my time getting here and spent the last 5 days at the Pt. Lavaca beach. Was spring break so it was busy but not to crowded.

Yesterday come into town to dump tanks and get supplies for the event at Victoria starting Thursday. I was at a friend's shop where he has a dump, took a bit of maneuvering to get lined up. Turning the wheel, BAM, no power steering. Jumped out to look and saw PS fluid pouring out of the top of the steering box. I just had the box rebuilt before this trip.

Further investigation showed the seal around the pitman shaft had blown out and up the shaft.

Could not find a replacement seal anywhere around Pt. Lavaca. Got the part number from the rebuilder but still nothing. I had taken the pitman arm off and had the seal assembly with me.

Further inspection of the pieces the seal was OK just a slight bend, the retaining ring was good, the weather seal had a slight cut in it, and the retaining circliip was slightly bent! Looking closer at the circlip I could see that one end had been inserted in the groove BUT following around could clearly see the circlip was NOT installed correctly and was only partially in the retaining slot.

Follow around from the upper end over the top of the clip and it is clear that the clip was only retaining the seal assembly by that end so when pressure built up during hard steering, the clip let go.

I carefully straightened the seal, the circlip and re-assembled. I flipped over the circlip to use the other side because there was some rounding on the side of the clip that had done the retention. It was a REAL BEAR to install. I had marked the clip all the way around so I could visually see it was fully inserted. The size of that clip and the pressure it took to compress enough to seat it, I can definitely say that when correctly inserted (hopefully as it is now) that seal assembly could never blow up and out, maybe the seal would develop a leak but not blow out!

Will be headed to Victoria today after a bit more rest.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a rounded edge and a sharp edge to almost all cir-clips...sharp edge faces out, but you may already know that.

Mark

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati | Member Since: 08-29-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I just had the box rebuilt before this trip.

Arrgh! Welcome to my world (Bought a factory new crate engine so I wouldn't have to work on it...) head bang

Seems like half the stuff I work on is a redo of some "professional's" work. I have had several plumbing leaks, all of which were worked on before, some electrical problems too.

As the saying goes, "If you want it done right..."

That must be an odd seal to be so hard to find. When I replaced the trans on the 86 the brake drum tailpiece bearings were rusty. GM used a pair of ball bearings for the yoke which are out of production. I had to buy them on Ebay and they are getting hard to find. When I get the rest of the parking brake part numbers I will post a thread on that job here.

Meanwhile good luck with your travels! We are fat and happy enjoying the sunshine in the Keys. Cool

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Had a bad experience four weeks ago when my tail pipe fell off and busted the front tire on my toad. The repair shop had just recently installed it. They made good on it but it should have never happened.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you have work done just remember that a "professional" is an armature (sometimes rank) that expects to get paid. And with the emphasis on the get paid part. I would hire a mechanic in a heartbeat if there was assurance that the person actually cared more about doing the job properly than the money involved. And the "stealerships" are the worst offenders and the manufactures are busy trying to make it harder for independents to get the info to work on them. While incorporating many parts that are expensive and with limited lifespan. My 66 Ranchero with a 408/5.8 hei distributor and Edelbrock is simple, crude, and will out run, out handle, and is more fun to drive than my Jag xj8. (and sure easier to get parts for and work on. My Breakaway while showing some indication of being build in the same area by relatives of redneck palace constructors is still relatively simple and trouble free (for an RV).

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made the short trip (30 miles) from Pt. Lavaca to Victoria Texas with no further issues. I will be driving around the airport a lot tomorrow so it will be a good test to see if the re-assemble holds, I think it will, just to obvious why the clip failed to hold.

When I return home, I will have to pull he box out again and replace the outer seal. This seal keeps the water and dirt out of the box. The shaft is vertical and has a good place to catch and hold water.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, all was not well! The steering box wasn't leaking for a bit right after the quick repair but somewhere along the route home it started again. This time was a small leak but non the less a leak. During driving there is very little steering activity that would require a lot of pressure but once I got home to park, lot of turning.

After parking, noticed a rather large puddle of oil on the driveway. Pulled the box and took it back to the rebuilder. Stayed there this time as he replaced all the seals, we looked at the shaft and there was nothing that would cause seal damage. New Cir-clip installed well this time.

The seal was probably damaged as it was forced out the first time. At least I got home. I am getting good at removing the steering box! Testing today and final loading for the Mojave event, will leave tomorrow.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Leaking at the Pitman shaft or the input shaft?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Here is Ed's picture from above. Looks like the bad seal is on the pitman arm shaft.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
That seal looks like it not seated properly. I would expect it to be inside the box and secured with a snap ring.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
That seal looks like it not seated properly. I would expect it to be inside the box and secured with a snap ring.

It was not properly installed. Go back to this post to see what actually happened.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post