Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air conditioning and posible converter issues
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air conditioning and posible converter issues
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
It's actually a 2 speed. I pulled the unit today and will take it into AAA electric in Anaheim within the week. If the fan is indeed the problem, they have a new one for $101.53.
That's around $80.00 less than Camping World.
Thanks again for all the input everyone.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jack, did you get the fans off the shaft? If not, give a shot of PB blaster every now and then. I remember one being really stuck on mine. The blower motor failed due to low voltage in the park.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Since the electron gurus are assembled here, I'd like to hijack the thread for a related question....

My 28 year old converter has never done a good job at keeping the house battery charged up...from what I've read, that's a common issue with older style converters. Other than that, it does the job adequately.....

My thinking is a stand alone "intelligent" battery charger, mounted in battery box, to handle coach battery upkeep while the coach is stored with shore power attached.

Question: If I plug a charger into interior wiring while on shore power, it means both converter & charger are sending charge to battery....is this a bad thing? Is so, what about installing a simple knife switch at battery to isolate it?...

Thanks!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

My thinking is a stand alone "intelligent" battery charger, mounted in battery box, to handle coach battery upkeep while the coach is stored with shore power attached.

Lee, the battery box is a hostile environment for anything more delicate than an anvil. The normal outgassing that occurs during charging creates the possibility of corrosion.

quote:
Question: If I plug a charger into interior wiring while on shore power, it means both converter & charger are sending charge to battery....is this a bad thing? Is so, what about installing a simple knife switch at battery to isolate it?...

I would not mix a stone age converter with a modern charger with delicate electronic components. I used a modern automatic charger in parallel with a stone age charger, and the modern one failed. I did not go inside to chase the failure, but I believe an IC inside was a little sensitive to spikes or transients or something. It was a 12A Sears charger, with manual, auto, start and deep cycle settings. I bought another one just like it which has lasted several years with a lot of use. I believe either Schauer or Schumacher makes it. For years, I have used two stone-age chargers in parallel or one with a converter without incident. Anyone remember Tungar bulbs?

If you buy a big enough three stage charger, you will not need your converter. I use a big three stage intelligent charger only. I did the overkill thing to minimize genset run time for charging, but as long as your charger can carry your average DC load, it can be used without a converter. Another advantage of a good intelligent charger is automatic equalization.

However, using the knife switch method you mention is perfectly all right, and is safer than parallel charging sources.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.....I just knew you would make it understandable for me.......

Rather than band-aid a deficiency in the old converter, I think I'll embezzle more of my kids' inheritance and install a new converter that properly addresses battery upkeep.

Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice? And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

Thanks again....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Tip about the Pb blaster Bill.
I may have the electric shop remove the blades and the blower. As well, they'll probably require the use of some sort of puller which I do not own.
Jack

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Rather than band-aid a deficiency in the old converter, I think I'll embezzle more of my kids' inheritance and install a new converter that properly addresses battery upkeep.

Good idea. If my kids ever get out of grad school, I'm gonna declare that their inheritance.

quote:
Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice?

I am not sure on their feature of daily equalizing. The literature does not agree on equalizing. Nor do the experts. I am not a big fan of a lot of equalization/desulfation. There are informed opinions all over the map. Somebody here will probably disagree with me on that. My Iota is supposed to do it once a week, but since we are never plugged in, the Iota never gets to do its equalization thing. I equalize the Old Farmer way-- only if the hydrometer readings are low or differ by more than a tenth or so between cells. I am on year 7 of my two golf cart batteries, and I use them hard. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

If you use EDTA, you won't have to worry about equalization/desulfation anyway. Smiler

quote:
And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

My Iota has a 120 bolt plug that goes right where the converter went, and a positive and a negative connection to connect where the converter went. Simple as pie. I would expect the PD to be the same.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking over specs, I lean towards the Inteli-Power 9200 series, w/ the built in Charge Wizard. Any thoughts on choice? And is the gonna be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation for an electrical simpleton?

Thanks again....

I put the Intellipower (60) with the charge wizard in my SOB, and it's far better than the old dual-output. The only mod I had to make was to run a #6 buss wire to part of the fuse panel that had been directly connected to the old inverter.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post