Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bendix Cruise Control: Now Working
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bendix Cruise Control: Now Working
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
My Bendix Cruise Control had these symptoms:
1) If set at or around 65mph it would hold: sometimes 2) if set above about 69 mph it would begin a rapid acceleration to 75mph+ (I always shut it off at 75) and 3) brakes weren't disengaging the cruise.
The fellow I called in Dallas who works on Bendix Cruise controls (a dying breed) told me for my symptoms I had a stuck potentiometer on my rear air cylinder and to shoot it with WD 40 thoroughly. After crawling under the coach for about 2 weeks on other issues/fact finding I found this cylinder and soaked it with WD 40. Drove to San Angelo yesterday (75 miles) and cruise began as before, but did not run away all the way to 75 ONLY about 73. Long story short: after many engagements/disengagements of the cruise control, by the time I was on the way back this PM, it now works! I set it on 70mph which it held fine, and coasted down in speed and resumed up in speed on the rocker panel. Apparently the approx 175 mile trip with the cylinder moving in and out got the WD 40 in where it needed to be and let the potentiometer get back to it's proper baseline. It took a lot of pushing the rocker on SET and RESUME to get the cylinder working to finally get it where it is apparently working as spec'd.
Leave it safe to say I be a happy camper!
If your Bendix cruise is acting erratic, try and find that air cylinder near the engine and soak it with WD-40. May fix yours also.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Good information ...think I might give mine a shot of lube just to keep things moving!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
What does the air cylinder look like? Do you have a photo?

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hopper:
What does the air cylinder look like? Do you have a photo?

No photo. I will work on getting a pic to post here. To find it look at the Injector Pump throttle linkage, and find the control cable attached to it. Follow the cable to the air cylinder. Mine is mounted starboard side on the bottom of the sheet metal where my coach batts are mounted.
I also forgot to mention the tech told me to hit all the connectors that plug in to the air cylinder with WD40 which I plan on doing soon and will report my findings after this.
Apparently the Bendix/King air driven cruise contol is a very well built system and can be brought back up to new with just some cleaning of contacts.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post