Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Anti Seize on Lugs?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Anti Seize on Lugs?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Hello everyone. I trust all is well.

Putting new tires on the coach. Decided to pull the wheels myself to do some sight seeing.

Is it prohibitive to use a moderate amount of anti seize on the lugs/nuts when reinstalling the wheels? Had to use a 4 foot cheater pipe and most of my 210 lbs. to break the nuts when removing - and did they ever "pop" loose! head bang (in honor to Kevin)

I plan to torque the nuts on the 19.5" Budd / steel wheels to approximately 500 ft/lbs.. Does that sound about correct?

As always, thanks for your thoughts.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Do not put anti seize on the lug bolts. Just a tiny bit of lube on the threads is OK but NOT on the face of the nuts inner or outer.

I have the same 6 bolt system you have and I hand torque to 400-600 lb/ft. I use a 3 foot breaker bar, I am 220 lbs, that gets me close to the stated torque.

if you have aluminum wheels, DO NOT use an air impact wrench. this will result in cracked wheels!! Removal with air impact wrench is OK but NOT installation. I have 3 that were cracked when I specifically told the installer NOT to use impact tools but they did anyway!

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I use JB 80 on the studs before putting the wheel back on. It will be on the threads and not on the seating portion of the lug nuts as MWrench previously suggested. I do not use WD40. Standing on the 36" (3 foot) breaker bar has worked for me on my dump trucks and the Barth. It makes no difference to me when the nuts "POP" as long as I have good balance while standing on the breaker bar.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Will not put anti seize on the seat/face. A little lube on the threats only.
Something about the "nubs" on new tires"... and wearing them off a Barth is even better.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate:
Thanks.
Will not put anti seize on the seat/face. A little lube on the threats only.
Something about the "nubs" on new tires"... and wearing them off a Barth is even better.
Yep Ted, my post on eBay was kicked out when I said the tires were new with tits. I see it is all your choice of words. Choice of words. ROTFLMAO Hide

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Attached is Alcoa's instructions for their wheels. The greatest problem is the use of improper wheel nuts and ignoring damaged studs. If properly matched they do permit impact wrenches although they require they be calibrated. I have never seen anyone in any shop get an impact wrench calibrated. https://www.arconic.com/alcoaw...e_manual_english.pdf

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, The Manual you posted is informative. Thanks for digging that up for our members. I do have aluminum wheels. I think Ted has steel wheels on his Barth. Some of the same information will apply to steel or aluminum.