Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 lower engine needs work
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 lower engine needs work
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/21
Picture of HeartBarths
posted
Hello,

I have an exhaust leak and something with lower engine needing repair (strange noise).

Thanks!

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Need deleted.

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Whoever told you the engine was easy to remove and cheap to fix was smoking some sort of illegal substance. Even doing the exhaust leak is a big job. Do you have a reputable mechanic?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Whoever told you the engine was easy to remove and cheap to fix was smoking some sort of illegal substance. Even doing the exhaust leak is a big job. Do you have a reputable mechanic?

Hello,

No I do not. I saw in a prior post that someone took theirs to Lucas Truck something or other.

One person said $5K for new engine, and difficult to remove, another person said very inexpensive, easy to remove. I definitely need a trustworthy, reliable place to take it but it’s also making a noise and I’m not sure what it is. We almost sold it right before the lower noise started. Luckily we didn’t sell it - she’s in fantastic shape and everything inside works perfectly! She could use a bit of an upgrade with the paint but first things first! By the way yours is beautiful. ☺️

Thank you for your time and definitely appreciate your help!

K

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A few years back I replaced the 454 crankshaft from beneath the coach. BIG job. I had planned to replace the rear main seal but the bearing was bad.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...933940277#5933940277

Several years later I replaced the engine with a 454HO crate motor. Had to raise the engine up and then take it out through the side door. Another BIG job!

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6693923287

This is not rocket science but takes many hours of work to get things disconnected and out of the way. The old engine was rated 240 hp, the new one is fuel injected and about 400 hp. Runs really well, pulls strong, uses no oil and mileage was better.

Before you get too far into it, be sure the noise you hear really does require major intervention.

Be sure to find a mechanic who knows what hey are doing. Lots of bad ones out there. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you like the Barth and intend to keep it then consider replacing that ancient engine with a modern one. There is a business named Wasserbeck Speed Shop near you who can advise you on options. Just as you would not use a fifty year old air conditioning system why be stuck with That dinosaur. Modern engines produce more horsepower and torque from a five and six cylinder engine than that thing ever did, and they are readily available as rebuilt and remanufactured. There are ways to mate the existing transmission using adapters and getting warranties. We remanufactured a GM 350 engine in our 1982 Euro for less than 3k. Scouring machine shops resulted in swapping heads for fuel injection and much better quality valves etc. You can talk with them and get advice before making a decision.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
A few years back I replaced the 454 crankshaft from beneath the coach. BIG job. I had planned to replace the rear main seal but the bearing was bad.

Several years later I replaced the engine with a 454HO crate motor. Had to raise the engine up and then take it out through the side door. Another BIG job!

This is not rocket science but takes many hours of work to get things disconnected and out of the way. The old engine was rated 240 hp, the new one is fuel injected and about 400 hp. Runs really well, pulls strong, uses no oil and mileage was better.

Before you get too far into it, be sure the noise you hear really does require major intervention.

Be sure to find a mechanic who knows what hey are doing. Lots of bad ones out there. Good luck!

Great info, thank you! Yes, someone else mentioned it’s possibly a crankshaft issue. But they said original engine is best. I like the numbers on the newer one you mentioned, anything that will increase gas mileage would be good!

Thanks so much.

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
If you like the Barth and intend to keep it then consider replacing that ancient engine with a modern one. There is a business named Wasserbeck Speed Shop near you who can advise you on options. Just as you would not use a fifty year old air conditioning system why be stuck with That dinosaur. Modern engines produce more horsepower and torque from a five and six cylinder engine than that thing ever did, and they are readily available as rebuilt and remanufactured. There are ways to mate the existing transmission using adapters and getting warranties. We remanufactured a GM 350 engine in our 1982 Euro for less than 3k. Scouring machine shops resulted in swapping heads for fuel injection and much better quality valves etc. You can talk with them and get advice before making a decision.

Fantastic, thank you for the help! My main concern is getting stranded somewhere so whatever will prevent tgat would be great!! I’ll check with those shops and thank you again.

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Wow! Just saw your pics! Eek! Glad it all worked out! ✌️

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:

Hello again. Am I doing this right? I’m supposed to post at end of other msg? Ok I tried Wasserbeck and he said he no longer does work on RV’s just race car at engines. Spoke to owner today. Thank you for the thought.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
click on reply to this topic at the left bottom

NOT the one inside the message...

clicking the one inside the message
is a reply with a quote of what you are reading Smiler

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
click on > reply to this topic at the left bottom

NOT the one inside the message...

clicking the one inside the message
is a reply with a quote of what you are reading Smiler

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Like this? Thank you! Smiler