Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    broken
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

broken
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
My serpentine belt broke yesterday on my way home. I had a spare belt that was used.I put it on and it did not run true and was not in the center of the water pump .It ran over the front of the pump.Could it be the old belt? I did notice that the front of the water pump did not have a sharp front end to hold it in place it looked like it was rounded over. Does the front of the wheel for the water pump look like the front and the back of the alternator that has two parts of the wheel that are sharp.to keep the belt in place?To me it looks like the water pump is worn down in front it is rounded over and looks nothing like the other belt stops? also the water pump is free.the belt I put on got me home but is no longer any good.
the previous owner had two used belts in the motor home when we bought it wonder ...
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
if the belts aren't lining up then something is worn out or a previous mechanic installed something wrong. Have it checked out Lenny. I doubt that the waterpump pulley is worn out... but, it could be. mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have somebody coming out Tuesday has his truck repair business.He will also change oil and filters. do you know the average price for a oil change and filters? last time I did it the cost was $400.00 thought that was high....
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
I have somebody coming out Tuesday has his truck repair business.He will also change oil and filters. do you know the average price for a oil change and filters? last time I did it the cost was $400.00 thought that was high....
lenny
Lenny, I change the oil myself on my 3208. It takes 2 oil filters from NAPA that cost about $15.00 each. It takes 20 quarts of oil. Sam's has five gallons of Shell Rotella T 15-40 for $50.00. Cost of oil and filters about $80.00. The rest your paying for labor and convenience and the disposal of the old oil.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that, in the US, any place that sells oil must accept used oil for recycling or proper disposal, it doesn't matter if you bought the oil there or not.

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
PS: The used oil is used as bunker fuel for ships, so they actually sell the stuff. It's not a liability for the store.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Nick is right doing it yourself. We do it on our big truck (600hp Cummins) and our old bus. You can buy oil by the gallon at Wal Mart for around $10-12/gal. The big truck uses about 11 Gal. Then we get the oil and fuel filters. If you go to a Petro or Pilot truck garage or the Speedco they charge around $200 plus extra for greasing or CAT filters. The used oil we bring to our recycling facility here in town, they use it for heating. Just get you some 5 Gal buckets with lids for transport. $400 is high for only an oil change, but you always have to figure in if you get any grease or other extras.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
took off the drive belt water pump wiggles.found a new one for $200.00 it is going on now. New drive belt $97.00 oil 24 quarts + new air filter $95.00+ extras 1 gas line filter with water separator= oil filters.Should I change coolant filter and hydraulic filters?
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B