Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Basement lock for 94 Breakaway
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Basement lock for 94 Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
One of my locks for my electric panel door refused to open. I disassembled it and it's broken. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Thanks,

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.southco.com/

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
The lock is made by Chicago Lock, now Compx. No other lock will fit according to a locksmith I talked to.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Below, are the three style locks/keys that are predominantly found on a Barth Compartment Box.

1) The Chicago style Locks, now CompX. OU-4260

here is their website. Chicago Locks CompX

http://www.compxnet.com/

2) The Southco style locks.

ECP Hardware Co. in the suburbs of Detroit Michigan. 1-800-442-3274.

The new part #'s are
Key: E3-5-15
Lock: E3-35-35

These are identical in fit as the originals,the changes are the front of the lock is "Powder Coated" in black and the two mounting screws are now a metric thread. The new numbered key fits both the old and new locks. The new keys open the old locks much easier.

3) The Southco C5-24-45 Sealed Lever Latches

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Bill! An exact fit. The locks cost about 35 each but it beats opening the compartment with a pry bar!

Rick

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Thanks again Bill!
Glad I can be of service to you. Cool

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new part #'s are
Key: E3-5-15
Lock: E3-35-35

To update this information:

Southco will not sell directly to individuals, but will sell to a company (if you happen to own one). The minimum order is 5000 dollars.

HOWEVER, Allegis in Minneapolis, MN is an authorized distributor and carries these locks in stock for a grand total of 15.77 each and new keys are included with each lock.

Allegis Corp can be reached at 1-866-378-7550.

I also contacted ECP as listed in the original post and found them to have a 35 dollar minimum order and a 25 dollar price per each lock.

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
SouthCo WILL provide *sample* keys for free and might send you a couple of *sample* locks/latches if you call customer service or send them an email.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:

To update this information:

Southco will not sell directly to individuals, but will sell to a company (if you happen to own one). The minimum order is 5000 dollars.

HOWEVER, Allegis in Minneapolis, MN is an authorized distributor and carries these locks in stock for a grand total of 15.77 each and new keys are included with each lock.

Allegis Corp can be reached at 1-866-378-7550.

I also contacted ECP as listed in the original post and found them to have a 35 dollar minimum order and a 25 dollar price per each lock.

Another update to this info:

Allegis will not sell directly to individuals.

quote:
SouthCo WILL provide *sample* keys for free and might send you a couple of *sample* locks/latches if you call customer service or send them an email.

Southco will not provide sample keys or sell to individuals. They were very helpful in providing numbers for distributors that carry their products and sell to individuals without requiring minimum orders.

ECP Hardware (800-442-3274) as originally posted, sells to the public with a current price of $36.37 for the E3-35-35 locks.

Austin Hardware (800-220-8118) also sells to the public with the same $36.37 price for the locks and $4.75 ea for the E3-5-15 key.

Anyone having issues with their locks that has an old key should really try a new key before replacing any locks. I have three locks that my old key will not open. The new key opens them perfectly.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I bought a new lock, after I destroyed it last year in the Seattle location. No problems at all, I just went in, the guy went into the back and came back with the lock in 2 min. I don't remember how much it cost I think $20ish or so. The body shop put the new one into the new door, painted it and it is good to go. I don't have the phone number, but it was on First Ave in Seattle in the industrial area.I did not try to buy via mail however, I just took the damaged lock into the store.

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
There is a distributor in Seattle, All-West Components and Fasteners, I don't remember what street they are on but their price for the tubular locks was $68.50 for one or $35.80 for two. Their key price was $27.95 for one or $18.25 for one.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Austin Hardware is a distributor for Southco. The E3-5-15 key price is $4.95 ea and new locks are $36.95 ea. 1-800-220-8118

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
I found them on Amazon two of them cost me $10.35 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DH7XFI

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Before I order 14 locks for my rig, I want to just get confirmation that E-35-35's are the right ones to get.

The description here says the only difference from originals on Barths is the housing. The E-35-35's have two 90 degree elbows on the latch that mine do not have, however:

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can remove the pals from your original latches and put them on the new ones.

You will need to acquire longer mounting screws and I do believe they are metric.

At the time I was in contact with SouthCo, they did send me 2 sample keys and 2 sample latch sets.

I bought my latches at Allegis Corp and was able to pick them up at will call.

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post