Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear leaf spring replacement.
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear leaf spring replacement.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
When I had my Bath in for inspection my mechanic told me that the one rear leaf spring looks to worn as the tire is rubbing on the chassis. After confirming it is indeed rubbing on our final outting of the season today I now need to figure out how to replace and what to replace it with. So what i have under there now are 7/1 leafs. The chassis plate states that I have a 7500 rear. Well my first question is each of the 7/1 leafs I've found from different suppliers say 3360lbs so adding them toether that would total 6720 not 7500. The ones with more leafs say they are for JB9 brakes. I believe my brakes are jb8. Am I missing something here? Second has anybody replaced them on their barth? Looking at the way mine are on and the way the bolts go I don't see how you can replace them without removing the gas tank or cutting the bolts as you pull it out as the two on the shackle have nuts on outside so the bolt would need to slide in and there isn't enough room to get a bolt out. Just spent $600 getting a rear axle seal replaced as I figure I should give a litle work to my mechanic so want to do this one myself so I can work on saving up to get someone to replace my oil pan and rear main. It is leaing prett badly. Did go back to conventional oil for the last change of the year and went to 20w50 so hopefully that slows down the leak a bit.

Part number on my springs is 15599375. Dayton shows their aftermarket for it as 22=761 but for fitting a GMC C3000

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If the springs are sagging but not broken you may have another option.

My Regal rode low in the rear. The springs were not worn through but too soft. I considered replacing or re-arcing the springs. This would have restored the ride height but would make the ride stiffer as well.

I opted to install booster air bags on the axle. They did a good restoring the ride height and the ride was soft. They are rated for 100 psi max. I found 60-65 psi worked quite well.

Way cheaper and easier than spring replacement. Mechanic

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...803910277#9803910277

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I do already have airbags at all 4 corners and your spot on. I like to keep em right around 60psi. So mine is rubbing the frame rail on both sides but the drivers is much worse. If you look at the frame you can see where the thing is nice and shiney about 2.5" up. I know you didn't see mine in person Steve but I am starting to think it used the low profile chassis. I have 16 inch wheels and looking at the leaf in the rear it is above the shackle.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rockauto has 3390 lb rated springs for motorhomes exc jf9 brakes. Triangle or Dayton, only a few left though have to put down that craft beer and hurry. Dog gone things are costly, around $250 each plus shipping. They also have some rated at 4100lbs, exc jf9 brakes but they are $370. I am surprised you have drum rather than disc brakes on the back of your coach, I somehow thought coaches over 25 foot had rear disc brakes. Perhaps you have the same model chassis as my 25 footer it is rated at 7500 lbs in the rear. I have drums on the back. Dannyzs' had disc.

They also have a kicker spring that will add 1050lbs per side for about $70 each.

I should think your additional air springs would easily make up for the missing 700 lbs in spring loading.

Rare problem though I do not think I have ever heard of a spring going bad unless one of the leafs breaks.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Ah but remember it says not for low profile chassis (which is what I think I have). I don't see why it would have been replaced prior and oem parts used as they are stamped 15599375. I'm not over 25, just at 25.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benebob:
Ah but remember it says not for low profile chassis (which is what I think I have). I don't see why it would have been replaced prior and oem parts used as they are stamped 15599375. I'm not over 25, just at 25.

Where is that number stamped, I will go look at mine and see what number I have, pretty sure I do not have a low profile chassis, although I do not know what designates it as low profile.

Perhaps it is in the VIN..

My total weight is 12300 and the front is 4800, is yours the same?

Do you think they make a motorhome low profile chassis. Or just a motorhome or a low profile.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah mine is around 12k gvw I think. It is stamped right on the bottom of the leaf so I doubt you'll be able to get that miller light gut under there without getting stuck. Smiler . I have no idea about the low profile thing, just that I can't seem to find much out about the spring that is on there.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I am afraid of the dark, so I will check tomorrow...I have drive on lifts. lol

chck this link... https://www.sdtrucksprings.com...fo&products_id=20091

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah the arch isn't close to the arch that is listed for the ones I have which I think is a bit over 6.5".

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did go back to conventional oil for the last change of the year and went to 20w50 so hopefully that slows down the leak a bit.

Not a good idea, especially in cold weather. One of oil's functions is to cool and to seal (internal parts), and it has to be able to flow at a rate the engine designers expect.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
ok, try this link!! Right next door to you...

https://www.stengelbros.net/22...f-Spring_p_3260.html

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have purchased several suspension components from Stengel. No problems. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Blu
posted Hide Post
I had a 1 inch pad installed under driver rear after hi dollar coils on front. might could have just gone back with front bags if i caught this. it was bringing whole side down.

Posts: 6 | Location: East Texas | Member Since: 10-09-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my delay. I've been chasing a white elephant it seems but I'm not as good a hunter as Donnie Jr. Smiler Seems the springs I have were discontinued Have had a few aftermarket places look and no luck. So they are 3750 springs, the next step up would be a 4100lbs spring but it is a good $100 more. Now I did fine a 3750lbs spring for sale on ebay but they only have one remaining. What are your thoughts about a 3750 spring and a 4100 spring. I would put the 4100 spring on the fresh water tank side as I drive more with water then with grey or black water. Could easily put a plate uneder the 3750 side if I needed to "level" things out. I fear going too stiff will change handling and ride but also don't think I should go back to 3390 springs as that 500lbs of motorcycle on the hitch toungue. Rusty, I do hear ya about 20w50. I don't use it in the winter at all and it is more of a test oil change. If the leak stops I'll go to 15w-40 and then try 10w40 conventional. I really am not in a position to do a rear main and honestly at 135k it is in that no mans land engine wise imho.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It would be useful to weigh each side. Some SOB coaches are factory built with different rear springs to compensate for poorly designed weight distribution. From your load description, different springs might actually be desirable. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp