Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear leaf spring replacement.
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear leaf spring replacement.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Seems to me your air assist bags were mis-installed. With the bag fully extended it should be longer than the extended leaf and not bottom out when the leaf is fully compressed. The air bag should not be holding the leaf and axel together even with the coach on a frame jack. Unless the bag is installed directly above leaf with u-bolts around the axle housing.

I would get a big ole pry bar and try to work the stuck shackle down bit by bit pushing between the frame and shackle. Sounds brutal but if everything is free very little choice.

Good luck!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
No they are the ones that are listed for the chassis and they are installed the right way. Here is the next best part. So now that it is loose and down and out on the one side. Yes I needed a jack and a comealong to pull the shackle out of its mount. The old shackles don't line up with the new ones. New ones 3.5 inches from center to center old one is 4 inch. Of course since it is a gm part it isn't stamped with anything. I am thinking of having a barth fire. This is why GM should have been left to go bankrupt. Thank you GW for saving jobs for people who ride the short bus I guess.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So if the new spring did not correct your problem, the only thing left is to put narrower rear tires and wheels on your Barth. Send me those beautiful wheels and tires and I will send you back my steel wheels and old tires...Hee hee!!! I have some plastic hubcaps to help beautify them for you and I will enclose a 6 pack of Fat Tire Beer!!!!

The next time I see you at a GTG I was going to swipe them anyway!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Only got one side on (the side that was rubbing and no, it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem on the short drive I took). Sadly, I think I'm gonna need to let it go as my body is getting worse and I am finding I am not up to the task of the upkeep physically. Have started looking for the right home with a couple of locals but will likely be posting it forsale as the weather starts to warm up. You could always just buy it for about the same as the price of those wheels new with tires on 'em new. Smiler

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob, as much as I like the looks of your coach, this ole NOSE has my heart.

The easiest fix and maybe the only one for your tire rub is to buy a spacer that fits between the axel if you have disc brakes, or the drum if you have drum brakes and your wheel, probably a half inch thick will do the job. If you can not find them at a hot rod or truck parts store, a water jet or CNC machine shop can make them for you.

You may need to knock out and replace the lug bolts with longer ones.

My body is getting a bit old so I feel your pain, but just remember the family fun you have in the Barth and maybe you can find a way to keep her up, come to GTG's and we will help with maintenance. Kevin will do anything for Craft Beer!

Look at this link f:0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Lug...wwPtTvxYh:rk:30Razzerf:0

Summit and Jegs have them also.

P30 chassis
350 engine