Barthmobile Portal
Rear leaf spring replacement.

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/9533901297

10-18-2018, 02:24 PM
benebob
Rear leaf spring replacement.
Yeah, we no longer anywhere to do that close and it is rubbing so much I fear that tire will blow taking it up to anywhere that can do more than just axle weights that I can get done at our local dump. Maybe I'll just go for it. It is getting quickly towards ski season so I need to do something soon or wait til spring.
10-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Duane88
quote:
Originally posted by benebob:
Yeah, we no longer anywhere to do that close and it is rubbing so much I fear that tire will blow taking it up to anywhere that can do more than just axle weights that I can get done at our local dump. Maybe I'll just go for it. It is getting quickly towards ski season so I need to do something soon or wait til spring.

Lay off that craft beer, I have no idea what you just said. ROTFLMAO . java cheers

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
10-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Duane88
quote:
Sorry for my delay. I've been chasing a white elephant it seems but I'm not as good a hunter as Donnie Jr. Smiler Seems the springs I have were discontinued Have had a few aftermarket places look and no luck. So they are 3750 springs, the next step up would be a 4100lbs spring but it is a good $100 more. Now I did fine a 3750lbs spring for sale on ebay but they only have one remaining. What are your thoughts about a 3750 spring and a 4100 spring. I would put the 4100 spring on the fresh water tank side as I drive more with water then with grey or black water. Could easily put a plate uneder the 3750 side if I needed to "level" things out. I fear going too stiff will change handling and ride but also don't think I should go back to 3390 springs as that 500lbs of motorcycle on the hitch toungue. Rusty, I do hear ya about 20w50. I don't use it in the winter at all and it is more of a test oil change. If the leak stops I'll go to 15w-40 and then try 10w40 conventional. I really am not in a position to do a rear main and honestly at 135k it is in that no mans land engine wise imho.

check the last link I sent in this post it is the exact spring you seek!

https://www.stengelbros.net/22...f-Spring_p_3260.html

P30 chassis
350 engine
10-19-2018, 12:44 PM
benebob
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
quote:

Lay off that craft beer, I have no idea what you just said. ROTFLMAO . java cheers

Blah blah blah. I actually found a place about an hour an a half away that has the 4100lbs springs for 189 so i'd save $200 plus shipping. Only question now is will they fit on the bike or do I need to take a car.
10-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Duane88
quote:
Blah blah blah. I actually found a place about an hour an a half away that has the 4100lbs springs for 189 so i'd save $200 plus shipping. Only question now is will they fit on the bike or do I need to take a car.

Hey that's probably the best decision for your unit, just in case you do have a bit more weight back there. I bet you never even feel the difference.

What size tire, is on that inboard dually? The reason I ask is because you said a few months ago you blew a tire on the inside rear while on a trip, I wonder if the guy put the right size tire on. To wide might cause a rub..and I assume you were drinking across the street when he did the change..

Have a few craft beers, take the bike, strap about 300 pounds to the frame...Yea sure!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine
10-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Steve VW
All this talk of bikes and beers! Nothing here but us manly men! cheers ROTFLMAO

Personally, I'm looking for a 3000 lb wench...er, winch to lift my stuff. confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
10-21-2018, 01:32 PM
benebob
quote:
Originally posted by Duane

What size tire, is on that inboard dually? The reason I ask is because you said a few months ago you blew a tire on the inside rear while on a trip, I wonder if the guy put the right size tire on. To wide might cause a rub..and I assume you were drinking across the street when he did the change..

Have a few craft beers, take the bike, strap about 300 pounds to the frame...Yea sure!!!

It was the other side that blew and my guess is from looking it had been rubbing as well as the frame is rubbed pretty good of the paint there. Seriously you think they will weigh 300lbs? I guess I'll have to take the TVR as there is no way I want to put them on the leather in the trunk of the Jag. Smiler No worries putting it on the "leather" of the seats in the TVR. They're out of a Miata anyways. LOL. So seriously, I can't see a way to replace the shackles without some serious cutting of grade 8 bolts. How important do you think that would be at this point?

Oh and Steve, sorry, can't help you with a wench for 3000lbs, 1000lbs sure go to harbor freight before the tariffs hit.
10-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Duane88
Those are big beefy springs, not sure about 150 I bet they weigh 100 pounds each.

If you had a Miata you could put them behind the seats on carpet, put the top down and enjoy the ride.

I would replace the bolts on the shackle's probably worn, and the u-bolts too. Cut those suckers off!! Spend the 100 bucks, get new bolts.

1000 pound WENCH is a big girl ROTFLMAO

P30 chassis
350 engine
10-23-2018, 09:11 PM
benebob
Oh I have a rear shelf in the TVR but 55" or so for the leaf I don't think I have the width. They'll get front seat treatment. I would love to replace the shackles but seems Chevy in their "wonderful" engineering decided it made sense to put the bolts in from the inside of the chassis prior to putting the fuel tank in so the only way to remove the bolt is to pull it an inch or so then cut it, repeat 3 more time. Not getting a 4.5" grinder in there either so a sawsall is your only choice. Not happening until they are making noise. Smiler
10-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Duane88
SteveVW probably had a similar problem with the Regal shackles, how did you solve it Steve???

Hard to cut hardened bolts with a sawsall! Hard to cut the head off and pull it out the nuts side..

P30 chassis
350 engine
10-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Steve VW
I sold the coach! ROTFLMAO (My springs were sagging but not worn through, so I installed helper air bags.)

I would plan on new bolts, so much easier to remove with "fire wrench" and install new ones. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
10-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Duane88
Probably worth the investment in a cutting torch rental!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine
10-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Jim and Tere
I sold specialty steel for nearly 40 years and spent most of my business life around machine shops. If you have the original drawing or can recreate it, there's nothing you can't have made, and usually better that the original one. Yes, it costs money. But there's no reason that Barths can't keep running for a very long time. While they won't have slide outs that leak and/or stick, or every conceivable gadget on earth, they will be better than just about anything you can buy new.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny
11-07-2018, 05:28 PM
benebob
Today was finally the day to start the project (running out of time as cold weather starts this weekend and skiing next so I want to get her parked for winter asap). Well I took the shackle bolt off the rear and the front bolt off, jacked up the axle so it didn't drop while taking the u bolts off and bam. The thing won't drop Smiler I do have airbags back there and didn't take off the sway bar thingie. I also didn't remove the shock as it looked like that would just pivot a bit further. Not hanging up on any hoses or wiring that I can see. What do you think I should try first if that circle returns to the sky in 13 hours or so?
11-08-2018, 10:03 AM
benebob
Ugh, so of course it was the last thing I loosened (the air bag). Here is the bigger problem now. I can't get the shackle to move. Since GM hires kindergarden drop outs as engineers I can't remove the leaf bolt as it is against the frame. I cut the front bushing off the leaf so I could put a come along on the thing and still can't get the shackle to move. I don't get it. Any thoughts?