Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Leaks During Filling
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Leaks During Filling
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
During refueling we get a drip down the side of our fuel tank.

Larry Lee, (hilarlee)who owned the coach before us also had a fuel leak. From his previous posts it seems as though it only occurred when he filled it full to overflowing (something we do not do). Our drip occurs only while actively refueling. As soon as we stop the pump, the leak stops. The guys here at Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR seem to think that it is only the o-ring gasket between the two halves of the clamp connector. It is also the only part they have available and we are reluctant to spend the weekend dry camping in their parking lot if they are wrong so we are probably going to move on. My question is does anyone have part numbers for the two part clamp and the specs as to the type & length of hose we will need as I would like to have the parts on hand once the work has started. Recommendations are also welcome. Most of the hoses I have seen at NAPA also appear to be too short but I may be wrong about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl & Betsy Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yours may be different but I am not aware of any "O" ring in the fuel filling system, There is a vent that comes back from the tank up to the filler neck, there is also a check valve vent (pressure relief) that has a hose attached to it and usually hangs over the side of the tank and may be somewhere around one of the long bolts that hold the tank in place.

Can you locate where the fuel is coming from when filling? That would be more helpful to diagnose the issue.

The filling line (on mine) used to run all the way to the rear of the tank and entered the tank about 1/2 way up the tank, I don't think it is the main filler line along the tank because that would leak until the fuel was lower then the entry point. It could be around the filler neck or somewhere just below the neck before the hose gets lower to the point where fuel will stay in the hose. There may be a hole in the filler hose somewhere along it but again would have to be toward the filler neck. The filler neck is in-accessible unless some of the rivets are removed to lower the neck, not an easy job.

I don't think the pressure relief valve is leaking because that is at the top of the tank and would only leak if fuel was at the very top which you say you never do. As you know it is very difficult to fill the tank completely full anyway.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Yours may be different but I am not aware of any "O" ring in the fuel filling system, There is a vent that comes back from the tank up to the filler neck, there is also a check valve vent (pressure relief) that has a hose attached to it and usually hangs over the side of the tank and may be somewhere around one of the long bolts that hold the tank in place.

Can you locate where the fuel is coming from when filling? That would be more helpful to diagnose the issue.

The filling line (on mine) used to run all the way to the rear of the tank and entered the tank about 1/2 way up the tank, I don't think it is the main filler line along the tank because that would leak until the fuel was lower then the entry point. It could be around the filler neck or somewhere just below the neck before the hose gets lower to the point where fuel will stay in the hose. There may be a hole in the filler hose somewhere along it but again would have to be toward the filler neck. The filler neck is in-accessible unless some of the rivets are removed to lower the neck, not an easy job.

I don't think the pressure relief valve is leaking because that is at the top of the tank and would only leak if fuel was at the very top which you say you never do. As you know it is very difficult to fill the tank completely full anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, Ed.

Althought it is hard to see the connections I will try to get a picture. There is a 2 part connector with snap locks on two sides. It is on the tank end of the hose. This connector apparently has an "O" ring between the two halves.

I have never seen a vent valve relief tube that you describe but I have missed things before and will look more closely.

The fuel seems to be coming down the side of the tank opposite the two part hose connector.

When I pump using a slow speed pump it drips less than if when I am using a high speed pump.

Since the filler neck is screwed in place rather than riveted I suspect that someone has been into this before and should make removal easier.

I am thinking that this is going to be one of those projects that will require removing the tank, looking for the source of the leak and then replacing the hose with a new one, replacing the elusive "O" ring (if there is one) and tightening all connections. I also understand from the folks at Spartan that it could be leaking from the filler tube that screws into the tank itself and could require resealing. Since we are several months away from returning home I will probably just have Cummins Northwest in Coburg, OR take care of it for me as it is getting worse with each fillup.

As always ... I appreciate your input.

Carl Feren

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My fuel fill also leaked, & continued to leak if the tank was above 3/4 full. The fill hose was straightforward, double hose clamped on both ends. It leaked at the tank end because the hose was deteriorated & swollen. I had to remove the black water holding tank to access the hose, & that was a major project that required cutting out the belly pan under the tank. Once the holding tank was out of the way, replacing the fuel hose was a piece of cake. Reinstalling the holding tank, however, was about as difficult as removing it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
In our case, the small hose going from the tank back to the fuel filler neck, was old, cracked and leaking. The vent hose also was in that shape. We replaced all of them and no more leaking, no more fumes inside.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The majority of opinion is the filler tube as the source of the leak.

Do you have a two-part connector with side latches?

You mentioned a small hose; mine is about a 2" I.D.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
wasen't there a picture of a cracked filler hose on the net not long ago and it was the cause of the leak?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a 2 part connector with snap locks on two sides. It is on the tank end of the hose. This connector apparently has an "O" ring between the two halves.

This is the 2 part in-line connector on the fuel filler tube. It was missing the O-ring which was the source of the leak.

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B