Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    allison trans shift selector has blank display
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

allison trans shift selector has blank display
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of beeoh
posted
Just fired up our 94 cat/allison Breakaway to find engine starts and runs fine but key pad shift selector is completely blank. All was working fine 24 hours earlier. We are fortunately stuck in our yard and not on the road. I'm looking for some troubleshooting hints from anyone that may have had a similiar problem as I don't want to tow to a service facility just yet as am a hands on owner for repairs thanks, bob

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
1) Transmission ECM fuse inside of the battery box! Corroded fuse holder! Replace the fuse even if it doesn't look or test out bad. Check these first.

2) The ECM on most Allison Transmissions are always fed power. The problem with this is that the power wire could be corroded internally or at a butt connector. The dampness in the wire could have corroded it away. (Sound familiar?) If you don't find anything by looking and testing then feel the power feed wire, it could be pregnant(have a lump in it) and not allowing the power to get to the ECM.

3) Unlikley but check the ground at the battery.

4) Start over again - you might have missed something - Don't mess with the Control Panel!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I slept on it a little more last night and woke up with another thought. The Allison Automatic may not always get it's power from "the battery" but it should be on it's own full time power supply. They do this because they want the maximum amount of power to it without the OEM wiring giving it a voltage (eratic symptoms) drop. They still have a key on feed wire. It just excites the ECM's internal relay.

---Anyway, I have seen the "main" power wire in three additional places on "Rv's/Coaches and Busses".---
  • The battery cuttoff switch
  • The starter battery post at the isolator
  • Positive post at the starter.
    I still believe it to be a main power supply problem.

I'm sure you checked all of the fuses in your dash. Did you loose anything else, like heater control? The newer Allisons won't let you start up unless the ECM has enough voltage, but back in 94 I think you could.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Spartan Chassis
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

•  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of beeoh
    posted Hide Post
    had ecm replaced at allison repair shop less than a year ago and at that time was told low supply voltage was reason for failure. They hard wired new ecm direct to chassis batteries. Up till now we have been trouble free. bob

Bob and Jan Orr
    Canadian Barth owners

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    How many people have paid "experts" to do something only to have it fail?

Hum, I see that everyone here has raised there hands.

Here's the scoop - Not all experts do, do diligence! I would still check the items mentioned. It does not take very long for a "Power Feed" wire to "rot away" I have seen failure in as little as 2 days on ECM wiring during the winter months. Yes, 2 days!

I get paid to chase trucks along the highway every day of the week.

The "expert" could have put in a butt connector and not sealed it, the zip ties that he used might have been pulled so tight that it cut into the ECM feed wire, the fuse holder could have a defect in it allowing moisture in, you could have had a rock nick the wire in the summer time and once the moisture hit it might have rotted it away.

Who knows, and unless you check you won't either.

Lets say you pay to have it towed. The garage could tell you anything. If you find it for yourself you'll get the satisfaction of learning something and save a lot of money. Win, win.

Do you live in a moisture laden climate? Have you driven on slushy roads recently? It could be the most common problem I see... rotted away wiring. This is the time of the year that it happens the most. Do yourself a favor and check it out. I would hate to see you with a tow bill and mechanical repairs for nothing more then a fuse or corroded wire.

And if it's not that then, I don't know what else to tell you. At that point roadservice or tow it.

If you had power to the control panel I would teach you how to draw out trouble codes and reset things. Heck, I could teach you how to check the fluid level on most allisons (not all) without ever removing the stick! Without ECM power you have to start at square one.

The only reason I spent time writing that piece on corroded wiring was the "insane volume" of calls that I have been doing for that alone. ECM wiring, Kwikee steps, tap in wiring to the battery, you name it and it's failing.

Good luck and keep us informed. I hope you don't need a tow.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Spartan Chassis
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
    I have seen failure in as little as 2 days on ECM wiring during the winter months. Yes, 2 days!

How wiring fails in as little as two days.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    beeoh, it's been 8 days since your first post on this problem. I was wondering, what happened?

Did you tow it? Did you get a new ECM? What was the failure? How were you treated by whoever worked on you? Did you get to go on your vacation?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
    Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    BTW, Auto Zone now has the sealing connectors with the heat-shrink sleeve.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
    In either case the idea is quite staggering.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of beeoh
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
    beeoh, it's been 8 days since your first post on this problem. I was wondering, what happened?

Did you tow it? Did you get a new ECM? What was the failure? How were you treated by whoever worked on you? Did you get to go on your vacation?

Just got back from our trip to Arizona..blank display problem was solved in my driveway by replacement of a relay in OEM VIM module supplying power to allison shift selector..had no problems in 3000 mile trip...thanks for all the helpful troubleshooting posts...bob

Bob and Jan Orr
    Canadian Barth owners

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
    Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Glad you had no problems!

BTW, if anyone contemplates installing crimp connectors, do yourself a favor and get real crimp pliers - they're around $20-30, and well worth the price.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
    In either case the idea is quite staggering.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Abribas
    posted Hide Post
    Hello,
    I've a 2004 GMC C7500 with Allison 2000 series. I also don't have shift selector display on dash and no power on forward gears. Reverse goes fine. I don't have any trans service light. Truck was sitting for about 10 months and was fine before that.

Changed: Checked all fuses ; changed Neutral switch; changed ignition switch and now TCM.

Any suggestions on what the issue can be?

Thank you

Gus

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Member Since: 05-11-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
    posted Hide Post
    I put a 2000 in our Barth. It uses a cable shifter for gears 1 thru 4. If the TCM errs out or fails for any reason the transmission defaults to 3rd gear in converter mode when shifted into any forward gear, making a dynaflow out of it.

Now go underneath snd have someone run thru the gears with the engine off. On the left side of the engine you should see see the lever move. If not it means you have an electric shifter installed such as Stone Bennent. You may have now found your problem.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
    5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
    2000 Allison
    Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post