Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1974 leaf springs?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1974 leaf springs?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted
Hello is it normal to have 11 springs on one side and 16 on the other? The side with 16 (Passenger) is broke and needs to be replaced. The other side seems kinda Flat only 1 3/4" before bottoming out? Any suggestions on where to get new equipment? Airbags? What do I tell the guy at Johns Auto? They look at me kinda funny Ooops when I say 74 Chevy Barth.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Tell your tech it's on a Chev P30 chassis. I'm pretty sure you should have the same amount of leafs on both sides. I had mine re-arched and new bushings installed...it tracks straight and corners like a 72 Sedan de Ville. Big Grin
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...31087061/m/200101011

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC:
Tell your tech it's on a Chev P30 chassis.
Tell them it's on a P32 Chassis. The P30 Chassis is the potato truck chassis, the P32 is the Motor Home Chassis. There is a difference.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I suggest you have your coach weighed side-to-side. Some previous owner may have had a reason for that odd spring configuration.

I had a set of P-30 springs made for an orphan s.o.b. with a proprietary chassis, Dodge power & front axle, with a generic rear suspension using P-30 springs. My spring guy was more interested in GVW rating, & the spring dimensions than anything else. I have a notion that differentiating between P-30 & P-32 will only confuse your spring guy.

My spring shop is in Portland, OR, but there should be a shop that can solve your problem somewhere closer by up there in the land 'o lakes.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Scott,
The springs should be inspected and replaced periodically as they fatigue. The front air springs must be maintained at around 70 PSI. I agree that adding leafs to one side of the coach was probably done to offset a weight imbalance. Manufacturers tend to pile all of the heavy stuff on one side of the coach. Check the spring eye bushings also. They deteriorate causing a poor ride and handling. I prefer to add Firestone air springs to balance the coach and Bilstein shocks to control it. Also inspect roll(Sway) bar bushings and replace them as needed.

Bill,
The P32 chassis is an I-Beam front axle version of the P30 Chassis that had an extendable frame with three possible wheelbases available by simply removing the frame coupling bolts and sliding it to the desired length. I also believe they were equipped with the Allison 542 tranny with no overdrive and no lock-up converter. I was in Louisville the year it was introduced at the RVIA show. Most Motorhome chassis from Chevy were of the P-30 variety with varying weight capacities usually 16,000 & 19,000. The P-32 was only used for a year or two. When Workhorse bought the Motorhome chassis line from Chevy they discontinued the P-32 and began development on the W-22.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.