Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    HI Trans Temp light on
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HI Trans Temp light on
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted
Good evening. We just came back from our maiden voyage in our "new" 1990 Breakaway.Everything went well except for the HI TRANS TEMP light coming on. We went thru the White Moutains of New Hampshire going south and thru the Green Moutains of Vermont coming north. For people not familiar with the area, there is quite steep hills on these highways. Once going south and once coming north there is a very steep hill. The one going north is several miles long and peak at 1856 feet. Truck drivers reach the top at about 35MPH with their emergency flashers on. On both case the light went on along with the Low Pressure light. The engine temperature was about normal around 200 deg F. On both case, I immediately stopped on the shoulder, idled for a couple minutes and shut everything off after for about 20-30 minutes. After that, I restarted, completed the hill and had no further problem for the rest of the day.
My Barth is a 30' Breakaway with the 5.9L Cummings coupled to the 4-speed Allison.
I checked the transmission oil level while running at idle in neutral and it was full. I never went over 2000RPM during the trip, and let it slow down to 1500RPM during that climb.

My questions are:

Is this something to expect from now on (on steep hill)?
I never thought of downshifting while climbing. Would that have helped? Do you normally downshift while climbing?
Do I need a bigger oil cooler on the transmission? Is that something you have upgraded to?

Other than that the trip was a real pleasure.

Real Lalonde

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's normal for the transmission temp to climb on a steep grade.

Of course, the question is, at what temp does the light come on? I'd suggest replacing the light with a gauge - the wiring's already there, and a gauge will run about $70-80 with its sender.

I put an aftermarket pan on my transmission from Mag-HyTec, and the extra capacity (about 4 qts.), and the cooling fins and internal baffles make quite a difference.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I never thought of downshifting while climbing. Would that have helped? Do you normally downshift while climbing?

Were you climbing with the "cruise control" activated? If so, turn it off and use the foot feed (yeah, that's what we call it in Texas); downshift when/if necessary. The only "overheat warning alarm" I ever suffered was while trying to climb a long Nevada grade on cruise; since, I drive -and downshift- as required on steep/long grades.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Barth is a 30' Breakaway with the 5.9L Cummings

1992 and earlier breakaways with the 5.9 Cummins use the 542 allison. This transmission has no lockup torque convertor and I can't find one in the aftermarket.

Therefore this transmission builds a lot of heat climbing hills. 1993 and later use the allison 3060 and don't have this problem.

Gary Carter

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any transmission that doesn't unlock the torque converter before downshifting, nor any that would lock the converter on a strenuous hill climb. So there must be design enhancements to the 3050 that cool it better than the 542.

That said, I still favor a gauge over a light. I want to know what the transmission's doing, not what it's already done...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty, as a follow up to my adventure, I had the transmission oil and both filters replaced. Just came back from a 400 miles trip thru the Laurentians mountains over the weekend with no problem. There is 2 things I want to do still.

One is to replace the light with a gauge. You mentionned that the wiring is already there. Is that the wiring coming to the light that you use?

The other is to replace the cooler with a bigger one. I've seen suggestions for model numbers somewhere else on this site and I will follow these sugggestions.

Real

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, you can use the wire now attached to the sender at the transmission and the light at the instrument panel. No need to run another wire.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I put an aftermarket pan on my transmission from Mag-HyTec, and the extra capacity (about 4 qts.), and the cooling fins and internal baffles make quite a difference.

Rusty, what temps were you showing before and after? After temps stabilized, I mean. The larger capacity would get you up shorter hills better, of course, but I am interested in the cooling effect of the pan. I like the idea that they have fins or baffles inside to carry more heat to the outside. I have a truck that might need one of those.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a gauge on the old pan (the Mag-HyTec has a fitting), but the big thing I noticed was that the engine coolant rose far less (and far less quickly) when the torque converter unlocked on climbing a long grade.

Mag-HyTec suggests that tranny temp will be lowered by 20F, typically, but talking with the Rothlisbergers, I'm the pioneer for installing the kits on a motorhome (at least with the 4L80E and the Dana 80); pan S/N was 2574, diffy was 297.

These items were extrordinarily well finished, and the fit was precise. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone using the drivetrain to push/pull anything more than an unloaded pickup.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
the big thing I noticed was that the engine coolant rose far less (and far less quickly) when the torque converter unlocked on climbing a long grade.

Thanks, that is quite a recommendation. Think I'm gonna put one on the list.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post