Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cold Weather Starting
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cold Weather Starting
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
I have a 1992 Barth Regency with 8.3 liter Cummins diesel. I live in Western Massachusetts and will be leaving in late January for Florida. I have no block heater and am concerned that it will not start.

Should I install a block heater? Cunning price was 300$-400 for the job. I would rather save that money to use on my trip.

Is a block heater needed? Are there functional alternatives?

I need some advice.

BillG

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A block heater is the gold standard.

This is a case of what you can do vs what you should do…

It is always ideal to preheat the engine. Remember that the diesel uses compression heat to ignite. There are 3 factors that affect starting/compression greatly: ambient temperature, cranking speed and fuel volatility. Warming the engine preheats the air in the cylinders, warms the oil for faster cranking and helps evaporate and ignite the fuel. In addition, the warmer oil reduces cylinder wear better than cold and loose during first few minutes of running.

Meanwhile, other tricks can be done independently. To improve ignition volatility, starting fluid (diethyl ether) can be sprayed in the intake. (Do not overdo or the excess can wash down the oil on the cylinder walls.)

Lead acid batteries are chemical devices. Like all chemical reactions, they are sensitive to temperature. A battery produces about half as many amperes at 0 F than at 70 F. Be sure the batteries are warm and fully charged, better yet bring them inside for the night before starting. They will crank twice as fast when warm.

So, with good batteries and ether it will probably start down to 0 or so, but not good for it without preheat.

Best to preheat both engine and batteries, a light shot of ether and it will fire right up.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
My advice is DO NOT use ether or quick starting fluid. I would get the block heater. I live in Ohio and just use the block heater to make starting easier.

Another alternative I have used is a rag dampened with gasoline held near the air intake so the engine can smell the gas fumes. I do not have any Cummings engines so I do not know the reaction for Cummings. I have used the gasoline fume trick for many years on other diesel engines instead of ether.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would put it in the living room just next to my favorite lounger hide

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Get the block heater; starting fluid is a last-ditch measure. Nothing good comes from cranking a cold engine in cold weather. BTW, once the engine is running smoothly and the air is pumped up, GO - get it warmed up under load.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Get the block heater; starting fluid is a last-ditch measure. Nothing good comes from cranking a cold engine in cold weather.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
A block heater is the gold standard.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
My advice is DO NOT use ether or quick starting fluid.

We gave you your options. You can now make the educated decision based on the input here. You can smell like gas while holding the gas fumed rag. Carry your heavy batteries in the house. Freeze your fingers off wild hooking the batteries back up. Then pray it starts.
OR

Go outside for a few minutes to plug in the heater. Stay inside and wait about an hour. Start your coach, then unplug the heater and drive away. Tooling Along

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the great advice. I'm pretty sure the block heaters going to be my choice. I need to get the coach over to Cummins so they can look at the project they wouldn't give me a price for installation until they saw the coach, only a guess.

I've always appreciated the quality of advice received in this forum.

Thanks again BillG

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
I'm pretty sure the block heaters going to be my choice.
Fuel quality will be your biggest concern past this. Fill it up with Winter Fuel and make sure you've got additives in it before you fuel up. You want the additives mixed in and then the coach driven to get all the treated fuel throughout the system.

Drain your fuel water separator and the bottom of your fuel tanks as these are two of the places that water settles. Any place that your fuel lines "dip low" will also be a collection point for moisture.

While you may be able to start it, you'll still run into other weather related issues. A frozen air system will probably be the next biggest concern. Make sure your air dryer has been serviced and the "desiccant cartridge" has been replaced within the last few years. Like fuel lines, the lowest point in an airline that droops will also be a collection point for a freeze up.

The air compressor discharge line and the air dryer to D-2 governor line are both very susceptible to that kind of freeze-up.

I give a simple speech after freeing up a frozen system whether air or fuel...

It boils down to water freezing at anything colder than 32°. I am unable to change that simple fundamental law of nature. I will get you going but if your system is heavily moisture laden you could freeze up again.

That type of freezing isn't gelled summer diesel fuel. Adding fuel or air system additives will simply not melt ice, it will however encapsulate and/or dissipate the actual liquid. Getting it back to its pre-solid liquid state is the bigger challenge.

This is why additives are supposed to be added BEFORE you freeze up. Dumping additives into a frozen system usually does very little... However, "IF" you're still building air or idling you've got a chance of the transferring engine heat warming it up enough that it could free up without a service call and then your additives might circulate enough. That's a "BIG IF".

I've been on the side of major highways blowing out frozen lines for decades. In really bad systems I've pushed mechanics wire down these lines to find the exact spot of freezing. Some times I've had to cut down that wire and insert the cut end into a drill to get the line "drilled out" enough to allow air or fuel to flow again.

Leave now... stop in Newburgh and take me with you. Big Grin

Let me know when you're passing through and perhaps, if the timing is right, we'll meet up again Bill. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
My advice. Leave for Florida NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tooling Along

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Now that Cagle guy has the right thinking

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This brings back long forgotten memories.

If you have not filled you fuel tank, add anti-gel and top it off.

I usually used tank heaters. Lots cheaper and just as good.

Would also blow alcohol thru the air lines. This was in the GM4106 bus. Most of my winter driving was back then.

Now the Barth does not see freezing temps.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
This is our first foray south for a lengthy stay. Leaving in January probably wasn't the best choice but the die is cast at this point. I'm going to make preparation as best I can and we'll see how it goes.

It'll be Florida this year and maybe Arizona or New Mexico next year.we're still trying to figure out where we want to end up for the winters.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world. I have gone to Florida from Michigan in February the last 5 winters. The gas engine is not as fussy about temps and will start at 10 degrees, as it did a couple of times. No real mechanical problems.

Between shoveling the roof, no water, packing in the cold and driving on snowy roads I do not recommend it. Especially the latter, with the mountains of salt all over the roads. I have seen more undercarriage corrosion in the last 5 years than the previous 25 years. Frowner

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post