Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Monarch radiator. 8.3 Cummins/Spartan
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch radiator. 8.3 Cummins/Spartan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob & Yvonne M.:
HI Steve,
I haven't been on here for some time and just saw your posting about your radiator. So glad you got it fixed. It looks like it is quite a process so Congratulations, job well done. My radiator is quite new as Ed had to have one put in when debris from the road got thrown up into the old rad and busted it so I should be good but its always nice to know how to replace it if needed. You do such a good job of documentation with pics.
We hope to see you at the Minnesota get together in June.

Bob have I got a deal for you. You could be an active participant.

About to start on mine. I am not stuck beside the road trying to get somewhere. I can take a little more time but will be doing a few more things. Changing out the hydrostatic fan motor also and draining that system changing filter and fluid.

I drove it up on some planks to raise it up to a nicer working height. I have the parts. That’s how I got the number of the radiator for Steve that fast.

Now the hard work starts. My mind had decided I had to go straight down. Steve showed it could go out the side. Also the fan hydrostatic motor should be easy without the other stuff in the way.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Good tidings on the radiator change. This cool rainless weather should make the job a bit more comfortable. Don't let it interfere with smoking that pork!!!! Good luck!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
With the things that Steve found and what I have found. I will make modifications that should improve cooling and eliminate the amount of debris that is getting into the radiator. I spent a lot of time getting the radiator cleaned last year. It is full of crap again.

I have gained a better understanding of the airflow.and will alter/seal some places.
It’s pulling stuff right off the ground. Like a big vacuum.

I am betting the rat I found in the air cleaner wasn’t happy with its choice.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If you look at my earlier photos you will notice, as I did, that the oil cooler was wet on the bottom section. Wasn't sure if it was coolant or oil. Once I got the radiator done I wanted to check on this.

Sure enough it appears to be slow leaking oil somewhere on the rusted bottom tube. I looked on the cooler and the label said it was made by Karmazin Products but no numbers. A call to Spartan confirms that they are out of production. They offered a "similar" unit for $700. Told them I would think about it.

Searching around I found that Thermal Transfer Products makes all kinds of coolers. One is a good match for the coach. Very similar overall dimensions and same mounting bolt holes! Only real difference is the ports are 1 inch NPT, larger than OEM. "Only" $400!

On the left is the TTP cooler: M-20 #285072

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5163 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Got the cooler mounted in place. Installed new AN fittings and attached the hoses. The area needs a bit of painting but should be good.

Hopefully with the rad and the cooler new, I am now done in here for a while!

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5163 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
looks great.. Stopping leaks before they are a problem while on a trip is a great thing!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Just noticed something Steve’s new radiator is white or silver. Mine is black. His does have plastic tanks and mine has metal tanks. If I’d have known how beefy/protective the surround was I would have saved some money and gone with the plastic tanks. I wonder if they color them different to keep stock straight? Hmmmmmmmm hmm

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth