Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    desperately seeking 3208T belt brand/part no.
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

desperately seeking 3208T belt brand/part no.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
d

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
belts on 3208T (87-88)

reference:

https://parts.cat.com/en/catco...maxPrice:&pageSize:&

https://www.justanswer.com/hea...-belts-3208-cat.html

My error Frowner [url=https://www.elephant-ads.com/LP_TA/index.cfm?T=437420]https://www.elephant-ads.com/LP_TA/index.cfm?T=437420[/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Keith, I just walked out to the Barth. I have Dayco Gold Label belts with 17000 miles on them.
I know we talked about this in another conversation. I think Nick used Napa Gold label. The NAPA and Dayco may be the same. Keep in mind NAPA does not manufacturer anything. Neither does Sears. They just retail market items to consumers.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Save your mouse, Nothing here will apply to our Barthmobiles.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Keith! I'm reading your post and I'm thinking thinking that you believe the belts are made by Gillig? Gillig is the Chassis maker, your engine is made by Cat. cat will have belts for you but they will vary depending on your engine configuration (there are many versions of the 3208T depending on use and Cat just sold the engine not necessarily knowing the application Transit bus Motor Home etc) but Belts are belts and it makes no difference beyond your comfort level what brand they are. Take your old belts in to a bearing and transmission shop and they will cross the numbers (or measure them) to the brand they sell. Find someone you like dealing with that sells a quality product, change all the belts as a set so you have a known starting point for the service interval on the belts and you're good to go.
hope this helps

Posts: 20 | Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta  | Member Since: 07-09-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Do you have a clear picture of the belts that broke?
Were the belts that broke hanging on a wall for 20 years?
Were the belts adjusted with the tensioner tool? (OTC 6673)
Did you check the bearing feel in the water pump and other driven accessory's with the belts off?

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L78steve:
Do you have a clear picture of the belts that broke?
Were the belts that broke hanging on a wall for 20 years?
Were the belts adjusted with the tensioner tool? (OTC 6673)
Did you check the bearing feel in the water pump and other driven accessory's with the belts off?

Good suggestions s Steve. I never saw the forest with the trees blocking my view.

posted Hide Post
Comments on here will start good thinking process by all.
Keith, Find a good straight edge and and check to see if the pulleys are in good alignment. Check also to see the pulleys "Grove Depth" are the same.
Could be your problem is not belts but the path they are traveling in.

posted Hide Post
HI There! I don't know if Cat kept the same tensioner system on all the 3208's but my 3208 N/A had a big heavy tensioner for the fan belts that had a sliding block with a tension adjustment bolt and 4 retaining bolts. When I was doing my first service I found one top bolt missing and the rest loose allowing the assy to tip forward. It would give a healthy chirp at engagement so I was looking at belt tension. It's hard to see in there so be sure and inspect carefully.
Kelly

Posts: 20 | Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta  | Member Since: 07-09-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McMuck:
HI There! I don't know if Cat kept the same tensioner system on all the 3208's but my 3208 N/A had a big heavy tensioner for the fan belts that had a sliding block with a tension adjustment bolt and 4 retaining bolts.Kelly

Hey Kelly, Thanks for the "truck" update. Our Barthmobiles are set up different. There is no fan or tensioner on my 3208, 10.4 liter, turbo Charged with after cooler. Any bus application I have seen has the fan on the side not powered by belts. One pair of belts can be adjusted by moving the alternator. The other pair can be adjusted by moving the power steering pump. Belt travel is long and adjustment is crucial during belt break in.
Keith have you had a chance to inspect your belt alignment? We will get this solved for you.

posted Hide Post
Barth Caterpillar engine

posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin! My 3208 wasn't in a truck it was a front engine Wanderlodge so I'm guessing when they went to 300 hp and moved the engine to the rear of coaches the engine mounted fan was made redundant.
Kelly

posted Hide Post
Wanderlodge was my second choice for a motor home. Older "Lodges" are classic in my opinion. Sometimes over gross vehicle weight rating though. Never the less a front mounted engine would not be the same as a rear pusher. I have yet to see a Barth with a front engine 3208. I would not be surprised if there is a Barth front engine 3208. Barth was custom built to owner specifications. You can tell the 250 from the 300 by measuring the oil filter mount and looking for the after cooler. TA is turbo after cooler on the 3208. T is turbo which is 250 horse power. Keith's Barth is 250 Turbo rear engine, as I do recall.
If you have some pictures of the Wanderlodge, please post the picutres in Many Abandon High End Motor-homes or our MAHEM area. We like to compare.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Quote:
Save your mouse, Nothing here will apply to our Barthmobiles.

https://parts.cat.com/en/catco...maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Official CAT parts store:

under Belts---

Filter by---

Brand

Number of Ribs

Belt Length (in)

Belt Type

Belt Width (in)

According to Kevin none of the above applies to Barths...

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McMuck:
HI Keith! I'm reading your post and I'm thinking thinking that you believe the belts are made by Gillig? Gillig is the Chassis maker, your engine is made by Cat. cat will have belts for you but they will vary depending on your engine configuration (there are many versions of the 3208T depending on use and Cat just sold the engine not necessarily knowing the application Transit bus Motor Home etc) but Belts are belts and it makes no difference beyond your comfort level what brand they are.

Referring to Kelly's post you must understand Gillig is in the chassis business and Caterpillar is in the engine business. Neither of them has a belt factory. Just like Sears sells washing machines, and I have never seen a Sears washing machine factory. It is ok if you want to give Cat or Gillig the extra money to purchase the same belts they purchase for resale at a profit. It is ok how you choose spend your money.
The issue at hand is getting Keith's 3208 to stop tearing up belts. The best advice to take them in measure them comes form Kelly (McMuck).