Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    changing engines
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

changing engines
 Login now/Join our community

posted
we have a 1983 barth regency with an 8.2 detroit - blown engine. are considering replacing with a 3208 caterpillar turbo, but cost-wise very expensive. does anyone know if there is a cummins, which i think would be less costly, which would fit into the mcc chassis with little modification?

Thanks Leslie for the feed-back ....

[This message has been edited by jerry cizek (edited November 30, 2004).]

Posts: 2 | Location: greenup,illinois,usa | Member Since: 11-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry, what kind of quote are you getting to switch to the 3208?

Zigler's Catepillar here in Minneapolis said they do it all the time for $10-11K. And, I am thinking that is going to be your price on any option you have.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave ... Have a chance to by a used engine from Truck Parts Inc in Richmond, Indiana. The 3208 Turbo Caterpillar has almost 200,000 miles. Has been dynomometer and blow-by tested, and carries a 90-day warranty. Cost $3,500.00 plus $500.00 core charge.

Plans are to buy it, and have my mechanic, S&S Service in Mattoon, Illinois put in new rods and bearings, w/o negating the warranty, which will cost approximately $900.00, and installation which will be approximately $1,800.00. Total around $7,000.00. What do you think? I know am taking a chance, but I don't have deep pockets, and definitely don't want to go back to an 8.2 Detroit.

Jerry Cizek

Posts: 2 | Location: greenup,illinois,usa | Member Since: 11-24-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,

Others can chime in here but you ask my opinion. If you are going to spend $7K on a 90 day warrenty seems like it would be worth while to beg steal or borrow another 2-3K to get a good warrenteed reman. 3208-T 250 hp remans are available for roughly $6K plus shipping. 2K for install puts you at 8K.
You know where I think some folks hear about diesel engines getting 1,000,000 miles. Well when I talked to Detroit, CAT and Cummins guys they say, ya...but, that may include three in-bus overhauls, long mileage, speed limit travel and constant maintenance. I think 200,000 is a lot of miles on a 3208 and it is not a wetsleeve engine either is it? Your money, but I would go for the reman personally.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry-

There are several issues that need to be addressed when doing a 3208 CAT engine conversion to a Barth Regency Coach.

1.The 3208 CAT Engine is a lower RPM engine so with the Differential Ratio of 4.625 or 4.333 as in your coach - the Top Speed would be either 60 or 66 MPH.

Therefore, you would have the added cost of an overdrive transmission like the Allison 647, Allison 2000, & Allison 3060. Or, install MCR's proper torque differential at added cost.

2.Radiator size for the 250 HP 3208 CAT Engine would need to be larger as we have found the 3208 CAT Engine requires same per our investigation of said installations.

3.Structural change would be required as the 3208 weighs 1000# more than the 8.2L Detroit so changes would be required to avoid wrinkling vertical rear sidewalls of coach.

Each of these concerns will add to your costs, BUT not to say that with proper investment you will have sound conversion.

Best Wishes, Leslie

Posts: 6 | Location: Lincoln IL USA | Member Since: 10-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The turbodieselforum has a number of inowledgable posters. Here is a link to a discussion on the 3208:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/archive/topic/52842.html

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
Hi Jerry,

Others can chime in here but you ask my opinion. If you are going to spend $7K on a 90 day warrenty seems like it would be worth while to beg steal or borrow another 2-3K to get a good warrenteed reman. 3208-T 250 hp remans are available for roughly $6K plus shipping. 2K for install puts you at 8K.
You know where I think some folks hear about diesel engines getting 1,000,000 miles. Well when I talked to Detroit, CAT and Cummins guys they say, ya...but, that may include three in-bus overhauls, long mileage, speed limit travel and constant maintenance. I think 200,000 is a lot of miles on a 3208 and it is not a wetsleeve engine either is it? Your money, but I would go for the reman personally.

I AGREE WITH DAVE I GOT A REMAN IN MY 1988 40'AND IT IS A DIFFERENT MOTOR THAN THE IN FRAME OVERHAUL CAT GAVE ME PARTS FOR THAT I OVERHEATED REMAN HAS SO MANY UPGRADES IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE IT'S THE SAME CONFIGURATION ED GILMORE

Posts: 23 | Location: peoria il. usa | Member Since: 12-13-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Jerry, IN my post of 10-06-2003 my engine blew in our 1985 Barth. It was the 8.2 Detroit 205hp. After a lot of researching I found that putting in a different brand engine was just too costly for me and required too many alterations. Pay attention to the post by Leslie Hoagland because this man really knows the Brath inside & out. After a lot of computer searching I found a used reman. detroit 8.2 turbo 230hp for $2700. I had the radiator flushed and recored and with some minor new parts had a total of $6000 in the transplant. The newer detroit engines are not like the old ones. I also lowered the thermostat down 10 degrees. Now the engine never runs anywhere close to overheating. If you are interested I'll try to find where I got the used engine(can't recall the name right now). My engine came out of a seasonal transport bus that only ran about three months out of the year and it came complete with everything on it. The company sold out the buses to the place where I bought it from. If you read all the posts from me--do not try the electric fans, that idea did not work.
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post