Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    engine swap?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

engine swap?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
New here, first off how well do these babies hold up? Found a 76 that SEEMS to be in good order. Has the 454 in it. Would be interested in finding out if a 5.9 cummins turbo diesel could be exchanged for the 454. ANY response would be appreciated thanks
Kelly

Posts: 3 | Location: washington st. | Member Since: 04-02-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newbie:
New here, first off how well do these babies hold up?

First off, welcome to the forum.

Barths hold up as well as any other all-metal coach. Barths hold up way better than the rest. They don't rust like a Superior. They also have a better chassis than the Superior. They have better storage than an Airstream. They are prettier than an Argosy. They are easier to find than a Foretravel or HR gasser.

We can assume that the driveline angles need to stay the same. That means the crankshaft angle needs to be the same.

That means the top of the in line engine will sit higher into the cab, meaning a higher doghouse. A diesel will be noisier inside than a gasser.

Start by measuring how far below the crankshaft centerline the pan drops and see if it will clear the P30 front suspension crossmember. The 5.9 block is pretty deep, but I think I remember some P30 bread vans with a 5.9, so it's probably do-able..

You will probably want a 6 spd tranny. A 643 would be nice.

Then, you would need a different gear ratio in back. The 5.9 gets it peak torque at a little under 2 grand.

If it's torque you want, an ht502 crate V8 provides over 500 lb ft, and over 300 hp.

If it's mileage you want, the 5.9 will do that, but it might not pay you back for the changeover expense. Depends on your annual mileage.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
billh,, thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about the 5.9 being so tall. Going to check the 76 out soon. The owner said he replaced a lot of the interior sinks, plumbing and the like, so we'll see. Are they much lighter than other makes? Oh ya,, I like the idea of the 502 but fuel mileage will be more important. Thanks again.

Posts: 3 | Location: washington st. | Member Since: 04-02-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The GM 6.2/6.5L is just about a drop-in.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Agree with Rusty. But only the 6.5Turbo. Also if you change out the transmission for a later unit with lockup and overdrive you may be able to leave the RE alone.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info... Looks like the one I'm interested in won't be long enough for our needs. Good to know that the 5.9 will fit..