Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Speedometer Calibration
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Speedometer Calibration
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
VDO Speedo in '92 Breakaway

Speedo read 10% over GPS (actual )speed. Decided to calibrate to read accurately.
Removal simple. Make sure to identify wiring connections. My 4 speedo wires individually plugged into wires that were all the same color (white) so identification is essential. Unscrew bracket thumbnuts to remove speedo outwardly from face of dash.

To access the calibration one needs to separate the speedometer. To do so the bezel retaining ring needs to be removed by lightly prying the back edge of the ring. And once the wires retainer is released the guts can be lifted from the housing.

Reference:
http://www.mwrench.com/barth/S...DO%20speedometer.pdf

and

http://www.mwrench.com/barth/S...metercalibration.pdf

Ed reduced his gauge speed reading by increasing the pulse range. I did the same - decreased my gauge reading by increasing the pulse range.

Again, my gauge read 10% high. Using my original 10 position settings I determined my original pulse range. I mathematically increased that original pulse range by 10% and located that higher range on the chart, then set the 10 positions accordingly.

Winterized so Spring will reveal if I did this correctly.

Incidentally, my 13.2 average mpg (thought) has been reduced 10% - 12 still isn't bad. And the actual total mileage on the coach is 3982 less.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post