Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Possible Fuel tank float / sending unit problem..
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Possible Fuel tank float / sending unit problem..
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
My mechanic in Texas is less than enthusiastic about my fuel tank/dash gauge incorrect readings. He advises that the dash gauge is OK and thinks that the internal tank float is the culprit. He advised he would have to 'disassemble the motor home' to get to it. i think he's just tired of it being there..

"Fuel level gauge is working properly. But issue is in sender or wiring to gauge. Sender is not accessible to test."

Any advice on how to proceed, all runs OK just can't tell level of fuel? Also, any shop recommendations around the Dallas/FtWorth area to get this problem worked on..? Can the tank be dropped and cleaned at the same time...last concern I have currently for the CA bound trip..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Test the current gauge with another sending unit, not in the tank just hook up the sending unit. Move the float check the gauge.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
When I get to Texas, I'll try it.. tnx

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a repair bulletin from 1992.

I hope it works for you.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Kevin, thanks for the document upload.. is there a collection of these repair bulletin's and/or subjects somewhere for perusal and/or download..?

other links re: tank/sender.. maybe some clues in here..
fuel tank concerns..

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
No, I just happened to have that paper in my Barth. I saw your problem and was curious if it would help you out. Please follow up when you get to your "Break-a-Regency" hybrid coach.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We dropped the tank in our 85 Regal, cleaned it out and had it coated, sent the fuel sending unit, pickup to a company that rebuilds them, put the whole mess back in with a new fuel filler hose, and that was it. I was in my mids 70s when we did it. It's a pain and that's why some mechanics don't want to do it.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Our 89' Regency is currently in the shop having this work done. Our fuel gauge never worked and after the coach stopped running and would not start a few weeks ago,we took in to the shop. They dropped the fuel tank, which was very dirty, it has been acid washed and had a coating applied to it. Both the fuel gauge and the sender were tested and it was found that they both worked, just not together. We now have a new, correct gauge being installed and are waiting to see if the dirty clogged fuel lines were the issue. Fingers crossed on that one. They did discover the glass fuel filter was very dirty and the fuel lines were pretty dirty and are being replaced. Hopefully, we will hear today. If the coach will still not run we will have to look at other issues we have read about here, fuel relay, etc.

It will be nice having a working gauge as always writing down the mileage and gallons is not real exact.

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
is there a collection of these ( Barth Ranger ) repair bulletin's and/or subjects somewhere for perusal and/or download..?

Still curious about this collection of publications..anyone have access to more of them..? Looks like a valuable resource..

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelshe:
Our 89' Regency is currently in the shop having this work done.

Kelshe, thanks for your posting, glad to hear it can be done.. Also Jim and Tere for your experience..

Mechanic's not wanting to do it because its a pain? What part of being paid by the hour don't they get..?

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have had my fuel tank out several times. It is a 60 gallon tank. All I did was drain all the fuel out (I timed it so I had low fuel to start with)supported the tank from the bottom and lowered it after the attachment bolts were loosened and removed.

It was not a very bad job, takes time but not bad! I removed the tank because I re-located the poorly designed fuel filling inlet. With the fuel inlet previously located at the middle of the tank rear, filling the tank completely full took a LONG TIME.

I could only put in 35-40 gallons before the diesel foam would work its way up the long filling hose and click the shutoff! It would take 30 minutes to complete the fill and get fuel standing at the filler neck.

As long as the fuel is drained, it shouldn't be a bad job. There will be 5 hoses that have to be taken off after the tank is lowered and access to them from the top of the tank. 2 for the main diesel engine (supply and return), 2 for the diesel generator (if the generator is diesel powered) and the main filler hose. Wire from the sender should be long enough to be able to be removed after the tank is lowered.

IMHO it shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to access the tank sender and repair or replace and reinstall the tank.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Problem is lifting the coach high enough to get the tank out the side under the cabinets.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L78steve:
Problem is lifting the coach high enough to get the tank out the side under the cabinets.

It goes out the side? And not dropped straight down from a lifted position? Did you mean the storage boxes...?

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have leveling jacks and I really didn't have to raise it much. The tanks are not that tall, at least thy aren't in the Breakaway.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike and Steve, The breakaway tank is 60 gallon. The Regency and "Regency wanna be on the Gillig" is 150 gallon.
As a safety measure it is a good idea to put the jacks down and then put jack stands under the frame to support the coach in case the leveling jacks get tired or collapse. Measure the tank and measure the clearance under the Barth. It appears to be enough room, but I have not measured it precisely.